cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Download Usage

I could really use some help with my download usage, I am on option 2 and have never had a problem until the last couple of months where I have been receiving an email saying I am nearly at my 40gb usage with half of the month still to go.

Since Christmas we have been running a desktop, laptop, xbox & ipad with no problems.

My daughter has just got an ipone and connects to the broadband and my son is using netflix on his xbox could this be causing the surge in usage? and if so is there anything I can do about this.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Download Usage

more likely to be your son on xbox downloading films from netflix than your daughter on iphone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 9

either go unlimited or limit the children usage, Netflix would be a contender for high usage.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 4 of 9

Thanks guys but I didnt think netflix actually downloaded anything as such as the films etc come up pretty instantaniously or am I just been a little stupid, also I checked with a friend of mine whos son uses netflix and she hasn't had any problems with download usage she is with aol and only pays 7.50/month for her broadband. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

it streams the movie from the internet - ie downloads and watch at same time - just does not save on HDD

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 9

Just had a look on the netflix website and yes I was been stupid it definately does use your download usage.  I have now set netflix to good quality as this seems to use the least amount.  Looks like I may have to change to option 3 unlimited broadband.  

Thanks

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 9

Option 3 a strong contender for a peaceful house 😉  Netflix as Iplayer youtube and music etc all use your usage.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 9

Thanks people your comments and suggestions have been much appreciated 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I have been getting email from BT saying that I am approaching my limit and then charging me for exceeding it. I think this is just a scam as I only have two computers on light duty. I will now get an internet usage meter as I do not believe BT. They supposedly had their own but it seems to have disappeared recently.

0 Ratings