Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Download speed deteriorating over a few days

Go to solution
Hopefully someone in the community can help me with this problem. Over a few days my broadband download speed will gradually deteriorate. If I go from a clean reboot of the hub I'm getting about 1.4 down (yes it's slow but that's normal for my location ). After a few days, less if I've done lots of downloading the speed goes down to a point my browsers says it's not connected. I use speedtest.net to check numbers and these match with BT line checker. Now a reboot of the hub will put me back up to normal speed. I had thought it was the hub but BT did send me a new one but it's not changed anything.

Any ideas, things I should check? Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 18

Re: Download speed deteriorating over a few days

Go to solution

Should have added the stats report from the Hub . . . .

IMG_0388.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

Sorry, once again that resolution was awful

IMG_0388.png

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

the connection time is 1day+ was that a manual reset?

are you conencted to the test socket?  have you tried quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

your noise margin is low at 3.8db as normal is about 6db and this will probably drop further at night as more people use the lines resulting in more errors which in turn will slow down you browsing/downloading

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results  should be done wired and don't reset before test

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the response imjolly.

Yes, this 1 day result was taken after a manual reset.

The quiet line test was fine, as much as i can tell, the line seemed quiet to me.  Not sure what you mean by test socket.  I'm plugging in directly to the hub (via ethernet) which in turn is going into the bt socket to the house (via the adsl filter) no extensions or anything.

The speedtester results are

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.56 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2.08 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps

The other test results are 

Telephone Number xxxxxxxx on Exchange EAST KNOYLE is served by Cabinet 1
Featured Products

Featured Products | Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) | Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) | Downstream Range(Mbps) | Availability Date

ADSL Max | Up to 1 | -- | 0.75 to 2.5 | Available
Fixed Rate | 1 | -- | -- | Available

Appreciate the help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

the test socket is here test socket.jpg

that eliminates all your internal wiring from causing a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

OK, I've tried the Test Socket and no change, the numbers are comparable. I had to reboot the hub as it got unusably slow so they are different.

I may have misunderstood reading other posts on the forum but as i understand it the bt hubs will tailor themselves over time to an appropriate speed for the connection. Is it possible that if i have faults/errors on the line some how (FEC/Errors etc) that I'm seeing a slow down because of that? 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

if you are still in the test socket with a new filter can you repost the new stats from your hub please

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

These are the stats when plugged into the test port

Download speedachieved during the test was - 1.87 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.11 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps

Exchange EAST KNOYLE is served by Cabinet 1
Featured Products | Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) | Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) | Downstream Range(Mbps) | Availability Date

ADSL Max | Up to 1 | -- | 0.75 to 2.5 | Available
Fixed Rate | 1 | -- | -- | Available

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

sorry it's the stats from the hub like post 3

0 Ratings