cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Download speed disparity

I have two computers connected to my Infinity service. One is a desktop machine running Linux the other is a laptop currently running Windoze Vista.

The desktop (wired connection) is giving consistently good performance on download speeds - around 76Mbps  at the latest check (earlier today).  My IP Profile is showing as 77.43.

The laptop, however, is slow. On a wired connection, directly into the hub, I struggle to get 35Mbps download. In fact with the laptop sat next to the home hub the wireless download speed is far quicker.

If it was the other way round I could understand such a disparity - wirelss connections are often slower that wired - but this is a real puzzle. In an attempt to bring the wired d/l speed of the laptop up to a better figure I have run numerous checks on the Vista machine looking for problems that might cause the symptoms, none of which seem to have got to the root of the problem.

If anyone could throw some light on where the problem might lay I would appreciate it.

Thanks..

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Download speed disparity

Check that you have the latest drivers for your network cards. Use the card manufactures website rather than Windows which can be out of date.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Done that thanks.. Was one of the first things I checked.

Seems to be one of those odd problems for which there is no solution.

Regards,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Try connecting the laptop directly to the modem and setting up a broadband PPPOE connection. This will show if the hub is the problem.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Worth a try (thanks)...  but bear in mind that three other devices with wired connections direct to the hub are not showing any problems.

I will give your suggestion a go over the weekend.

Regards,

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 6 of 8

Windows Vista!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Have you tried a different ethernet cable , one that works well on one of the other boxes?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Have you tried putting it in a paper bag and whirling it around your head three times?

0 Ratings