cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Download speed significantly slower than that of speedtests?

Right, I have bt infinity and a purported download speed of around 35Mbps. This is grand, but it seems that when I do want to download heavily, If im downloading multiple files or even a single file through FTP or similar (not Torrents, before anyone mentions them) then the download speed never seems to reach above ~4.5mb/s. I am the only user in the house, with no other devices using the internet at the time. Is there something wrong?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Download speed significantly slower than that of speedtests?

4.5mbps are around the average download on that package, never really know anyone to get more other than on Infinity 2.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

I am on Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 11

Hmmm ok, Could you run a speedtest and post your results. http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

I can get a look of your profile and see whether your new speeds have gone through.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

3.5MB/s (MegaBytes per second) and 35Mbps (MegaBits per second) are more than less the same  - if you are seeing 4.0MB/s or more then thats pretty good!!

A single Byte is the same as 8 bits meaning that 1MB is equal to 8Mb.

CG Over An Out
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

You are confusing megabits/sec and megabytes/sec, as above - ~37megabit throughput = ~4.4mb/s

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 11

Yes i'm aware of this, but since he's on Infinity 2, his new profile should be around 76MB or less, which would create more downloads per second.

And yes 4.0MB/s is pretty good 😄
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Ya, was only referring to the OP Aarong, your advice is of course sound.
As he is stating a 35mbit estimate it seems he is getting roughly 40mbit sync which isn't bad in such case the increased freq band of infinity 2 probably won't help due to signal deterioration on the longer/noisy line. Obviously impossible to tell for sure though without a unlocked modem or the profile gives a rougher idea!

Guru
Message 9 of 11

Indeed! Would like to take a look at his profile to see if it has been raised! lol! this would also give us an idea whether he is on the new speeds and seen no increase.

I think that's mostly the issue, since the new product creates more noise on the line, it seems to be making it worse or fluctuating speeds.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Just because he's on Infinity 2 doesn't mean he HAS to get over 40meg sync, just means his line can if it's capable 😉

But yes he's confusing the two measurements of speed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings