After being connected for 24 hours or more our line appears unable to download more than 0.5mbps, its rendering the internet more or less unuseable during these times and the problem persists until we reboot the homehub, after which download speeds return to a very steady and useable 2.2mbps until a day later when it degrades again. Most speed tests we run during the bad times are actually a lot slower than 0.5mbps even and yes we've tried different speed checkersand different servers.
We know it isnt a device internal to the house using the bandwidth as we turned everything off except one device, we even ran speed tests on different devices to rule out our 'test' PC as the cause.
We notice the issue most evenings, but after each reboot things go back to normal so I am not sure that its congestionissues at the exchange.
The line syncs at the same speed after each reboot too so I am not having issues with quality of line which for all intents and purposes appears consistent.
This evening I wasn't able to get the BT speed checker to run as it said my line was running to slow, after a reboot, no problems.
And finally, I have been running from the master socket for the past 2 days, so it's not an internal wiring issue.
There are only a handful of nearby wireless networks so ive no reason to believe all the channels are having issues, plus the tests have been performed over 5ghz and 2.4 ghz wireless connections, same slow results when things are bad.
Can anyone offer any advice as to what may be happening? I am dreading having to call BTs call centres to get this looked at so would like to arm myself as much as possible before hand.
Are you using the test socket as only the test socket will eliminate your internal wiring not the master socket. If your download speed is ok after a reboot then it is unlikely to be congestion as I would expect the problem to be the same after reboot as it is before so looks like another problem
are you using wireless or ethernet connection?
can you connect with Ethernet and run btspeedtester and post results
Sorry, im plugged into the test socket!
Good point - I havent tested yet when things are bad using ethernet, I have a cable so will test this tomorrow when the problem reappears and post the results then.
have you split the networks
Well the issue has come back, twice actually since last posting.
Even going via ethernet the results are the same, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting from the internet via the homehub web interface and it didnt help, it wasnt until I actually rebooted that everything went back to normal.
The speed test indicated there were no line issues and my IP profile and sync speeds are correct (and have been everytime I've checked), throughput it always fine once the routers been rebooted.
I'm now of the opinion there is a fault within the homehub/firmware, the issue seems to occur over a 48 hour period or 24 hour if i've been playing on-line games.
Firmware used -> BT Home Hub 4 (Type A) | Software version 220.127.116.11.18.104.22.168.26.1.1 | Last updated 16/12/1
Theres absolutely no way I'm going to put myself through the stress of trying to convince a BT first line desk agent this so will look to purchase a netgear modem router instead and see how I fare!