cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottmu65
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Downstream 288Kbps, Tech Support useless, getting ridiculous

My internet speeds have suddenly dropped drastically, no idea why, I rang technical support who kept me on the phone for a good 45 minutes getting me to try things i'd already tried, various different filters, using the test socket on my main telephone point, doing the bt speed wizard thing, all to no avail. Eventually told me he would ring back as he needed to run a test on my phone line, when he rang back he said there was a fault on the line that they could fix, he assured me i would be called back within 48 hours to update me, 6 days later nobody has rang and my broadband speeds are even slower.

i've checked the service status as there doesnt seem to be any issues in my area. I'd be very grateful for any help, here is my connection info from the homehub settings page:

ADSL line status

Connection information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:32:07
Downstream288 Kbps
Upstream

504 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)32.3 dB / 6.8 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)37.0 dB / 20.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up)0.0 dBm / 10.3 dBm

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
scottmu65
Beginner
Message 2 of 13

Re: Downstream 288Kbps, Tech Support useless, getting ridiculous

Also, just so you know, this isnt a new connection, moved to BT a few months back and was the best connection i ever had up until now. Any help will be greatly appreciated as can't stand these slow speeds any longer. Half the time websites won't even load up at all, the connection keeps timing out!

0 Ratings
wrighty434
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Yep same here the last 5 days. You have about the same amount of noise on the line as me which is the problem. 

It seems like there are a lot of us in the same situation recently. 

With this and the Infinity customers have major problems I'm wondering what the **bleep** is going on with BT at the momentSmiley Mad

0 Ratings
Geoff93
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right
Click on More Details and then post the results.

And post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

then someone may be able to help.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
scottmu65
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

UPDATE: Just been ranting at BT again (who tried to get me to do everything the guy from last week told me to do), explained to him that i've done it all before and that they should just pull their finger out and sort the problem. He wanted to do another line check, got a call back 10 minutes later and he said there was a line problem with the exchange so he had to pass it on to them so they could change the line type or something, and that id get a call back within 24 hours, i'm not going to hold my breath, i know for a fact that nobody will call me back, im paying for  internet and services that i'm not getting! the connection was perfect just over a week ago and now this! Why can't they just sort the problem!! If i dont get a call back i'll be ringing up and really give them a piece of my mind before cancelliing my subscription and taking my custom else where, this is some of the most diabolical service i have ever had, they are as bad as TalkTalk!

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

are you having disconnection problems or have you been resetting the router in the hope it will improve your speed?  Your noise margin is very high and could be caused by many things  - worth checking 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

all your noise/disconnection problems have resulted in the exchange seeing your connection as having problems and you are now in a banded profile to stabilse your line.

are you connected to the master or test socket or somewhere else?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
scottmu65
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

not having disconnection issues, the internet stays connected without problems, ive looked into reducing the noise but my set-up has remained the same constantly and theres nothing to suggest why noise levels have increased.

I am connected to the master socket, i have tried the test socket behind the faceplate also as i was instructed to by the member of tech support but it made no difference.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

sorry but there something happening on your line which has resulted in your connection ending up in low banded profile.  When you say there are no disconnections do you check the adsl stats on your router daily?  If not then just seeing the internet light on the hub is not sufficient to say that you have not had any disconnections as your hub could reset and you wouldn't know.

connecting to the test socket and leaving 24/7 will give the best connection and eliminate any noise problems caused by your internal extension wiring.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
scottmu65
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

ok I have plugged the homehub into the test socket and warned everyone not to touch it.

What are the chances that BT actually phone me back this time by the way? Because I really want this sorted, they said they were going to contact the exchange and fix the issue

0 Ratings
scottmu65
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

if it helps here are the bt speedtester results:

Results Image not loaded

This Last Test comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

79 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 79 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :288 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1127 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 8.98:28.0:63.02 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

929 Kbps

0 Kbps1127 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 929 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1127 Kbps

Your service was found to be performing poorly.
Please raise a fault with your service provider, stating that the BT Performance Tester tool indicates poor service throughput performance after the third test.

0 Ratings