Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SheilaT
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Downstream Speed Issue

Bt Forums,

My Family's been on BT Broadband for years, and are currently on the unlimited wireless package, with that new Home Hub. We don't get near the 8MB connection that is promised, but we get enough for my children to play xbox and watch youtube etc. However, the speed has suddenly decreased in the last few days. My downstream is now at 286k, it will not go above this - as if it is capped there. I did research on the problem to see if others have experienced the same one, and it seems extremely similar to this issue reported here (It seems to be, I'm no expert): http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/Downstream-stuck-at-288k-no-help-from-BT/td-p/..., the line is fine and the rather pitiful phone support has not been helpful whatsoever, so I'm hoping that someone here can help with this issue.

Here is the informationfrom my Home Hub Manager, I would appreciate some help/confirmation of what's going on, and a speedy solution.

Thanks, Sheila.

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 06:17:35
Downstream:280.6 Kbps
Upstream:411.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):18.6 dB / 11.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):31.4 dB / 16.3 dB
Output power (Down/Up):15.3 dBm / 9.9 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):9 / 49
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):3 / 66
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):32 / 47
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Downstream Speed Issue

Hi Welcome to the forum
Could you please post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
0 Ratings
SheilaT
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

The Quiet Line test featured a dull hum, as expected. I have already gone through that list, removed interference and plugged the hub into the master socket, with filters etc, and performed those steps. The test results were as followed:

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 191 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 100-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 411 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 246 Kbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 311 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 411 Kbps

The thing that worries me is my IP profile - we have never gotten speeds this low before, and are paying for a connection up to 8MB - 100 to 250 kbps is not an acceptable range. This is an issue that was raised in that other thread and seemed to be fixable. 

What is the next step I should take? 

Sheila.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

your profile is not the problem it's your low connection speed

have you had an email from BT recently about an exchange upgrade?  you are now on 21CN adsl2+ up to 20mb.

as you have had broadband for years can I ask which hub version you have in use?

have you tried the test socket?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SheilaT
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

We have recently upgraded to the latest home hub model, and have not recieved any such email. We haven't tried the test socket yet, we didn't want to risk upsetting the wiring inside the socket by opening it up.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

if your socket looks like this   master socket nte5.jpg  then it is permitted to take off the bottom half to connect to the test socket with a filter

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
SheilaT
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

I performed the test again, and the results were this:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 222 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1159 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 902 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1159 Kbps

I'm really confused, because the upload is better than it's ever bean, but for some reason the downstream is still just as limited.

0 Ratings
SheilaT
Beginner
Message 8 of 14

I performed the test again with the Test Socket, and the results were this:

Download speedachieved during the test was - 222 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :280 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1159 Kbps(UP-STREAM)

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 902 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1159 Kbps

I'm really confused, because the upload is better than it's ever bean, but for some reason the downstream is still just as limited.

0 Ratings
SheilaT
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

I have looked at more pages around the internet, such as these: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/btsupplier/3953722-stuck-ip-profile.html?vc=1http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/IP-Profile-stuck-at-2000kbps-used-to-be-higher..., and the prevailing opinion seems to be that my IP profile has got stuck, because I have everything correctly connected and the test port showed the same result as these threads. I'm emailing the mods about this as advised in the other threads, so hopefully this will correct the problem. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

your profile is not stuck and is correct for your connection speed.  The profile is a function of your connection speed so the higher your connection speed the higher the profile - not the other way round

you are on the new profile system so your profile is 88.2% of your connection speed

you do need mod assistance however but not to reset your profile - to fix your connection

0 Ratings