cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
justdaj
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Downstream is LESS than Upstream!

I've had my BB connection about two months and on average I get around 5Mb downstream -- I live in a rural location so this is good.

The last few days my connection has been appalling and today I see the downstream is less than upstream so something is very wrong.

I've had the router off and on several times; I swapped the filter, and checked for line noise on the phone.  All seems fine.  There are (apparently) no known issues in my area.

I tired the speedtester.bt.com but it always fails after the "Upstream speed for :Test 1"...Gets to 100% then tells me the System is currently busy, please try again (been doing that for two days!)

Earlier today I did achieve a 5Mb Downstream for about two hours but it's gone again.

I know I should call the faults people but I find it mind numbing to go through the Indian call centre and all the unplugging/plugging script I need to go through -- I am beyond that process I think

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.  

thanks, David.

Here's my stats from the router...

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:13:35
Downstream:280.6 Kbps
Upstream:443.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):28.6 dB / 8.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):27.1 dB / 12.8 dB
Output power (Down/Up):14.8 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 37
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 8
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):0 / 3
0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Downstream is LESS than Upstream!

Its the resetting and restarting of the home hub that has caused you speed to be put into a banded profile, as the exchange thinks there is a fault.

You should be connecting at about 17056Kbs.

You must leave your home hub turned on and connected to your phone line for at least five days.

During that time, do not reset or disconnect it, even to do a speed test.

If your download speed has not increased after that time, then return to this thread for assistance.

Thank you

0 Ratings
justdaj
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Ok, I will leave alone for now but I was simply checking all the stuff the BT folk would suggest.

To be clear in the last two months it has never been turned off.

I will report back on any progress.  For now the BB is almost unusable. Smiley Surprised

thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

Well your downstram margin is 28.6dB, so there is plenty of spare capacity available to give you a good connection speed, but the exchange has throttled it back, as it thinks there is a fault.

Just leave it alone and do not touch any of the filters or connections, and your connection speed will recover.

justdaj
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

Oh, you updated the note  😉

"You should be connecting at about 17056Kbs."

I've never had this, that I am aware of.  In fact BT said ... "Your speed should be:

8Mb.  The actual speed might be between 5.5Mb and 12.5Mb - depending on how far you live from your exchange, your home's wiring and a few other things."

Fingers crossed I get back to at least 5!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

If you visit this link, and enter your downstream attenuation, then look at the ADSL2+ figures.

Maximum speed calculator

When your speed does return, then post your ADSL stats again, so we can see what the noise margin is. You could have wiring issues as well, but untill your connection has been unbanded, its not possible to tell.

justdaj
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

thanks for the quick response Keith -- I appreciate it.

I'll come back to this thread in a few days.

I used to be more rural and my max was 512Kb (max on the exchange apparently) so 5Mb was very exciting.  Antyhing else would be a plus!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

Well you will get loads of help here from quite a few experts, so I am sure it will get sorted.

Meanwhile you may wish to read some of these links as a guide for later on.

ADSL connection help

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

are you connected to the master or preferably the test socket?  do you have extension sockets in other rooms?  have you tried changing the modem cable.

your connection is now on adsl2+ up to 20mb not the previous adslmax up to 8mb.

I am not convinced you are currently in a banded profile and more like a bad connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
justdaj
Beginner
Message 10 of 23

My master socket is almost impossible to get to!  It's in the very top of the attic, in the eaves!  I use the socket that comes directly from the master.

When the BT guy came to activate my line he checked and said it wass fine to use the extension -- he did all his tests from it too.

0 Ratings