cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chaoticatom
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Downstream stuck at 288k - no help from BT!!

Go to solution

hello all,

I moved into a new house and setup BT Broadband on June 3rd.  It was working fine for about 2 weeks at a speed of 3.5M but then it started to decrease down to 44k download speed.  I phoned BT many times and after a few days it was upped again to 3.5M.  This was fine for a few days again and then it went down to 44k again.  Yet again after many calls, BT upped it again.  All this time by downstream (router figure) was always 4,600k.

Currently again I am now downloading at about 44k again but my downstream is 288k.  Whatever I do it will not budge at all - it's like it capped there.  I know all the usual things of how to trouble shoot a connection (in in ICT support).  I did connect it direct to my external NTE with all internal house connections disconnected.  Still 288k.  I did the BT speed test and it tells me that my IP profile is fixed at 3000k.

I phone BT every day now on this and they keep saying it will be passed to the network department or the special network team but nothing ever gets done.  It's been like this for about 2 weeks now.  I've noticed also that the DSL checker guesstimation has also dropped to 512k.  My neighbours are all getting a nice 3.5M.  I've had 3(!) BT Openreach engineers come out to test the line and they confirm it's fine (for voice), but BT never send a Broadband engineer out - no help at all.

I'm losing the plot here and really can't believe that it takes so long to sort anything, the technical help is 100% useless and keep telling me to try different filters!!! 

Has anyone got any ideas?  MODS?  I'm at a loss.

Downstream288 Kbps
Upstream594 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.5
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)29.2 dB / 8.1 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)54.0 dB / 27.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)16.6 dBm / 12.4 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 446
CRC Errors (Down/Up)566 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 109022
Error Seconds (Local)35

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Downstream stuck at 288k - no help from BT!!

Go to solution

Nathan

Your connection is stuck in a banded profile ...  160Kbps - 288Kbps .

email the mods:  BT Forum Moderation Team <forum.moderation.team@bt.com>

With account detail, they will get it "released".

chaoticatom
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks RogerB,

I have just emailed them to see if they can help me.  Hopefully it's just a simple thing like that.  I knew about the IP profile (mine at 3000K), but never knew about a banded profile.  Shame for all the hours wasted to the call centre!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Hi chaoticatom,

Received your details so I'm checking a few things and then I'll get back to you.

Ta,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
chaoticatom
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Stephanie,

That's great, I now have a decent speed back.  Thanks for your quick help.  I sent you an email back.

Shame BT telephone support have no idea what to do and so wasted weeks on this. 

Thanks,

0 Ratings