cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thompsonaj
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Dramatic download speed reduction while exchange updated

After many years of stable service, I've had a dramatic reduction in download speed from the usual 2.5-3 MBps to 125k.  Upload is still fine at ~600k. The BT call centre tells me this is because my exchange is being upgraded for BT Infinity FTTC which is why the promised engineer didn't turn up and that most people in my area have similar problems.  It's been like this for 2 weeks now and they say it'll be OK when the upgrade is finished in a few more days.  I can see several similar looking posts in this forum, have people found the speed has recovered without direct action or should I push for something more to be done?

Have to say, if the downgrade in speed is deliberate to facilitate the exchange upgrade then it's pretty shoddy behaviour to just do this with no communication.

The BT speedtest says my line is configured for a download throughput speed of 135k and the test result was 44k.  Speedtest.net consistently gives 125k though.

My connection details according to my DrayTek Vigor 2710n router are:

ADSL StatusModeStateUp SpeedDown SpeedSNR MarginLoop Att.
  ADSL2(G.992.3)SHOWTIME8910002870002647

Any help and advice much appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Moderator-Retired
Message 2 of 5

Re: Dramatic download speed reduction while exchange updated

Hi thompsonaj,

Have you noticed any increase to your speeds yet like?  I know the helpdesk mentioned it might take a few days so hopefully things should be looking up?

ta

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
thompsonaj
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

No improvement yet.  Latest speed test results are below.  IP profile still showing 135kbps, which I guess needs to be changed before anything else will improve.

Thanks

Andy

Download speed achieved during the test was - 51 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :287 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 927 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 5.88:13.73:80.39 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 4 of 5

Hey thompsonaj,

Ok certainly looks like something is up here.  Have you tried any of the self help on oour website yet?  Have a look here.

Depending on how you get on drop me in an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com

Include your BT account and telephone number with a link back to this thread and I'll get on the case.

Cheers

Craig 

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 5 of 5

Hi thompsonaj,

Thanks for your details. As your sync speed is also now (and not just your IP profile) there's a chance this will entail an engineer visit, but I'll get a few tests underway now and drop you an email back afterwards.

Cheers,

Stephanie

0 Ratings