Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 11

Draytek 2820n connects but unable to browse sites - Firewall issue - home user

Go to solution

Hello all,

Another probelm with the Draytek Vigor 2820n, I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a standard BT BB connection (unlimited badnwidth), no fancy fibre connections where we live. I've connected my Draytek and entered all the settings (I even entered my BT password even though it's not required as the connection is registered via the phone line), I get a confirmed connection handshake (all green in the WAN settings, WAN2 disabled) but I can't browse any sites. Ping tests just fail. Tracerouting fails also. Firewall on PC stopped and restarted, still no joy.

Is there a firewall setting in this router which needs adjusting which isn't obvious?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Draytek 2820n connects but unable to browse sites - Firewall issue - home user

Go to solution

You do need to authenticate the PPPoA session, otherwise you will not get a connection to the Internet.

From my website.

ADSL uses PPPoA. (Point To Point Protocol Over ATM)

If you use a different router with ADSL, then you need to make sure that the authentication is set to PPPoA.
You can use a user name of broadbanduser@btbroadband.com and a password of bt

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Re: Draytek 2820n connects but unable to browse sites - Firewall issue - home user

Go to solution

Hi Keith

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Ok so I've renetered my login credentials, I used username@btbroadband.com and the password I was given. I now get a confirmed connection (all green), via the diagnostic panel on the Draytek I conduct a ping test to www.bbc.co.uk and get a succesful route, no lost packets. When I view the 'online status' I can see I'm receiving packets of data, all seems well. I then go to view a website and nothing. Performing a ping test from the PC results in 'Destination host unreachable'. Obvioulsy the PC can see the router otherwise I wouldn't be able to access the GUI.

Any clues?

Rich

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Can you access the BBC website?

Have you set the DNS server setting correctly? Try using 8.8.8.8 for the primary DNS, and 8.8.4.4 for the secondary DNS.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

When I perform a tracert via the PC I get zero response from www.bbc.co.uk yet if I perform a tracert via the router I get no packets lost...

I've changed the primary and secondary DNS via the LAN-General setup - DNS Server IP address settings in the Draytek to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

still no access to website via a browser, firefox, safari or IE

If I unplug the Draytek and plug the standard BT homehub back in everything connects straight away. The only reason I'm changing to the Draytek is for the added firewall functionality and the ability to connect a USB device (home data sharing), as the USB port has been disabled on the BT router.

Rich

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

It has to be something else within the router setup, perhaps someone with a Draytek can point you in the right direction?

Is there any guidance on their support website?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

in the adsl settings is the multiplexing set to vc based vpi 0 and vci 38

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

I have the following settings;

Multi PVC Channel: Channel 1

VPI: 0

VCI: 38

Encapsulating Type: VC MUX

Protocol: PPPoA

Modulation: Multimode

PPP Authentication: PAP or CHAP

Idel timeout: -1

Dynamic IP address

default MAC address

no PPPoE pass through

WAN Connection detection: ARP detect

no ping IP

no bridge mode

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Re: Draytek 2820n connects but unable to browse sites - Firewall issue - home user - SOLVED

Go to solution

SOLVED

I had an extra 4 port (1 gig) hub connected to my BT Homehub router which worked without hitch, all my cat5 links were passing through this, connection to the internet worked liked a chram.

BTW I work with both PC and MAC

When I replaced the BT Homehub router with the Draytek I lost all connectivity to the internet, taking out the extra hub allowed internet traffic to flow again.

Does anyone know why this would happen?

0 Ratings
Ogier
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Re: Draytek 2820n connects but unable to browse sites - Firewall issue - home user - SOLVED

Go to solution

At an outside guess - the switch had a address outside of the routers range. 

Did you reset turn off the switch during the swap over?

Just a thought

Ogier

0 Ratings