Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
countryhome
Contributor
Message 31 of 39

Re: Drop in speed from 17Mbps to 6.4Mbps

Wow!

04:07:57, 11 Jul.    ( 93.180000) DSL noise margin: 5.90 dB upstream, 3.00 dB downstream
04:07:56, 11 Jul.    ( 92.060000) DSL line rate: 1163 Kbps upstream, 20824 Kbps downstream

It's been like that for over 2 hours now, amazing what it's capable of when it wants to be.

I'm only 200 metres from the exchange ...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 39

noise margin now down to new 'normal' of 3db for good line hence the speed increase

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
countryhome
Contributor
Message 33 of 39

Yes but, excuse my French, it's been **bleep** since then 😞

Disconnects every morning arond 8 or 9 or 10.

Then every lunchtime, 12 or 1.

Then every evening around 5, or 7 or 9 ...

I guess the hardware that tries to autonegotiate the connection speed tries at certain times of the day (the DLS or something?).

Really frustrating, can't work properly. Part of my job involves doing large scans of web servers and i keep having to restart.

Tried the online line test, it got half way through and said there is a technical fault and we cant complete your request.

Then it told me i couldnt rerun the test since i already had open fault reports, and to input my account number to view the faults.

Then, of course, it didn't recognise my account number ....

What a steaming pile of **bleep**!

The engineers come round and there is no noise, they plug in their resistance checking hardware and say "No its all good" then they leave.

Then it goes noisy again.

I've half a mind to get a ladder and go up that **bleep** pole myself.

The wiring from where the pole wire connects to the house wall then through to the socket was replaced, so that is brand new wiring and fully enclosed and weather proof.

But the wriing from the house wall to the pole is 30 years old the engineer told me!!

Can they not replace that ??

Really, really **bleep** off now and no use getting another provider as it's the same pair of **bleep**ty copper wires ...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 39

if your conenction is dropping that often your noise margin would normally increase with a drop in conenction speed.  can you post the 2 lines of stats from the logs please

if there is noise on quiet line test then need engineer to fix it but if intermittant then getting engineer at the right time will be difficult

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
countryhome
Contributor
Message 35 of 39

The engineers coldn't find a fault but it's been very good for 3 days now :

Line state:Connected
Connection time:2 days, 22:40:05
Downstream:20.4 Mbps
Upstream:1.137 Mbps

Thanks for help,

closing this now.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 39

looks ok for almost 3 days stable connection

0 Ratings
countryhome
Contributor
Message 37 of 39

Service has reached an all time low, have been connecting and reconnecting practically all the time, never connecting at more than 3Mbps.

Today it has dropped to 2Mbps.

It is definitely the noisy line, which was previously intermittent and never noisy when the engineers turned up.

It is now constantly noisy, sounds like an ocean wave, so i'll be contacting mods for an engineer appointment and hopefully finally get it sorted.

My guess is the wiring in the pole.

Cheers.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 39

if your line is that noisy then just report a phone fault to 151 no need for mods and organise an engineer visit

countryhome
Contributor
Message 39 of 39

Thanks jolly that's a good point.

0 Ratings