cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Drop in wireless speed

I am experiencing a problem with a sudden drop in wireless speed. I run infinity 2 with an IP Profile of 77.43 Mbps and a normal d/l speed (wired) of around 76 Mbps.

My desktop machine (running Linux) uses a wired connection but I also have  a laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate.  When I last checked, about a month or so ago, I was downloading wirelessly at around 65 Mbps. Over the last week I have a noticed a decline in wireless download speed and on checking today I cannot get above 30 Mbps. This with the laptop within six feet of the Home Hub 3.

This is what I have done so far:

Updated the driver for the wireless card.

Rebooted the laptop.

Reset the HH3.

Run network diagnostics from with Windows 7 (no problems found).

Run  a full virus, adware and spyware scan.

I am using a fixed wireless channel (Ch. 7)  I tried switching to the "smart wireless" setting but it made no improvement. The network card details within Win 7 show a maximum speed available of 130 Mbps.

When running the BT Wholesale speed tester, (wirelessly) I notice that the download "current progress" bar gradually slows down and "switches off" at around 70 percent of download. Upload progress is fine and runs to 100 percent. The results then displayed are showing a marked drop in speed of wireless download.  Nothing on my home network has changed in the last six months.  I am at a loss as to what to try to get my "old" wireless speed back. I am suspecting some sort of interference but doubt that would be an issue so close to the HH3.

Anyone have any suggestions they would care to make?

Thanks....

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Drop in wireless speed

Have you downloaded Inssider and seen what channels may be interfering with Ch 7 ?

What other wireless settings are you using - 20MHz or 40 MHz?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@Grouchy wrote:

I am experiencing a problem with a sudden drop in wireless speed. I run infinity 2 with an IP Profile of 77.43 Mbps and a normal d/l speed (wired) of around 76 Mbps.

This with the laptop within six feet of the Home Hub 3.

When running the BT Wholesale speed tester, (wirelessly) I notice that the download "current progress" bar gradually slows down and "switches off" at around 70 percent of download. Upload progress is fine and runs to 100 percent. The results then displayed are showing a marked drop in speed of wireless download.  

It may be worth reading this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/HH3-Infinity-Local-WiFi-Channel-fade/m-p/1446295...

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Thank you for the suggestion and the link..

I ran the program which suggested a change to wireless Ch. 6. Have done so and speed has improved somewhat. I had tried this before with no improvement but such are the vagaries of wireless connections I suppose....

I will run on the new channel for a while and see is the improvement remains.

Thnaks once again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Thanks... I hadn't seen that thread. I initially looked in the "Infinity speed issues" forum so therefore missed it. Intersting to read of the sudden failure of so many HH3's...

0 Ratings