cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thecad
Message 1 of 13

Dropbox and US throttling

Go to solution

I have had Infinity for a few weeks and the speed is excellent. But I aslo use Dropbox and have found the connection speed is awful, 350kb or so download (I have 49mb down and 11mb up).

I used speedtest.net to test servers in San Fran and NY and both test showed speeds of only 3mb down and 6mb up.

Can someone explain why BT puts such a huge restriction on traffic from the US? Afterall we are an internationally connected society now.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Dropbox and US throttling

Go to solution
Hi, i did reply to your post on the other thread, is the dropbox servers not B.T throttling your connection. I have the same issues with dropbox.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
thecad
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Why does a line speed test show such slow speeds to the US then?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution
Speeds can degrade over longer distances since your testing from serving further away.

There will be times where i can download or upload at the max of my connection at other times it won't. It all depends on how fast the server will let your download/upload your files.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
0 Ratings
thecad
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

I appreciate your help, but I don't think it is as simple as that. But I guess that could be why big companies use Akami servers to replicate content on different continents. Anyway, I'll leave it at that for now.

Thank you 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution
Try speedtesters and that in America you will find your speeds decrease over longer distances and increase pings etc.

No worries.
0 Ratings
emardell
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

I would like to add to this and wasnt sure about the best place to start.

* I have had Infinity for several months and 80/18meg up/down is great

* This is consistent in tests and all seems fine on the numbers unlike others who arent getting what was quoted as a complaint.

However...I too have found dropbox is slower....and crashplan...and Backblaze...and and and others.

At those same exact times I can still perform fantastic speedtests and at those same times I have other links on same account at 3 office and datacentre locations where they are achieving much, much fasters uploads.

Backblaze in particular quote and standby the fact that they do not throttle...my numbers are good so....why do all the legitimate and NON P2P services seems to be restricted ?

Its feel VERY much like anything that could be used and take some bandwidth is being throttled and that defeats the object of having infinity and paying all that money ?

I also had an interesting situation when infinity was down one morning. Call support, couple of tests, indeed an issue...they were about to call someone out when I noticed it was back...something had nudged it. When I then went back to PC, Crashplan had gone from 1Mbps upload to between 8 and 10 Mbps !!! This remained for about roughly two days...then slowly dropped back to be 600kbps to 1Meg.

1) If this was some result of traffic being off while the lines were down...2 days is too long

2) why would it then gradually decrease almost in a controlled manner...some might say the more I uploaded the more I was throttled...sound familiar ?

Not sure anyone will ever answer this honestly but surely some suspicious evidence there ? I dont use P2P for dodgy downloads !

Ed.

0 Ratings
neilmusgrove
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I'm also having issues with Infinity and Crashplan. I have a ticket open with Crashplan but I'm starting to suspect this is BT's doing. Despite getting about 15meg upload speed my Crashplan runs at 200-600kbps upload! It used to comfortably run in the region of 6mbps from what I remember but in the last month or two I have not seen over 1mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

@neilmusgrove wrote:

I'm also having issues with Infinity and Crashplan. I have a ticket open with Crashplan but I'm starting to suspect this is BT's doing. Despite getting about 15meg upload speed my Crashplan runs at 200-600kbps upload! It used to comfortably run in the region of 6mbps from what I remember but in the last month or two I have not seen over 1mbps.

Well, if there website runs as quick as there service then I am not surprised you are having problems with them. Best to ditch Crashplan and find a better and quicker one.

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

We use US sites a great deal (including some government ones for IRS Filings) and they can be painfully slow, mostly it is down to transient conditions on the internet but our US family have also told us on that side of the pond it can be just as painful!

0 Ratings