cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 11 of 13

Re: Dropbox and US throttling

Go to solution

Here are some figures I took when I first joined Infinity a few months ago.

As we know there are many variables, so don't anyone take these without plenty of salt.

backup speeds (kbps):
~~~~~~~~~
CrashPlan: 600 (that is the .com version: CrashPlan UK almost certainly much quicker in UK, but more expensive ???)
IDrive: 2700, rock solid
ZipCloud: 1000
DropBox: 3200, but very irregular
GoogleDrive: 2400, slightly irregular (new figures better, up to 10000, very irregular)
SquirrelSave: 7500 up to 8200. 17000 with WinSCP or FileZilla

~~~

There had been lots of problems on CrashPlan forums around that time;  I haven't checked since as I ditched them.

It seemed to depend on the luck of the draw which CrashPlan server you ended up on.

SquirrelSave have been excellent for me; high speeds on Infinity, low cost, really excellent customer service.

Their plan may not suit if you want to backup many machines, or if you want web access to backed up photos

(you can download them from the web, but not view backed up files in a browser as you can with some backup services)

0 Ratings
sgt_bilko
Contributor
Message 12 of 13

Go to solution

This is all rather curious for me. I've signed up for Infinity but have to wait until the 15th for activation. I currently use Crashplan for backups of my main computer and Dropbox just to sync a few items across my computers at home. Speed is never startling on an ADSL connection but it's generally consistent with what I see elsewhere. Dropbox in particular is very reliable. 

The initial backup of roughly 400 gigs to Crashplan took about 3 months running 24/7 and I thought it would never end, so I was desperate for Infinity back then but couldn't get it. Backups now are small and incremental but naturally you'd expect it to be significantly faster than an ADSL connection and these very slow speeds sound suspiciously like heavy throttling by BT, which Sky doesn't do. I have to say I have major doubts about the reliability of Crashplan if the day comes when I really need it and I don't like the fact that the main application is entirely dependent on Java.  

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 13 of 13

Go to solution

these very slow speeds sound suspiciously like heavy throttling by BT  

I don't think they are.  BT's links to the US are sometimes congested (rather than throttled), but not nearly as bad as I saw to Crashplan.  If you look on the Crashplan forums (at least around 4 months ago) you will see lots of people in Europe complaining about slow upload speeds to Crashplan.  Many complaints came from Germany, and quite a few from people with connections nominally much faster than Infinity.

0 Ratings