cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hawkhand
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Dropouts/pixelation

I have a BT YouView+ Box. It has been working perfectly for 8 months. Over the last few weeks I am getting picture Dropouts/pixelation across all channels. I do not get this if I watch via my TV tuner. The problem is corrected by a reset of the box, but only lasts for 24/48hrs before the fault re occurs.  The BT engineer came out and replaced the aerial lead and as it had been reset, it cured the problem, but only for 24hrs.  He was satisfied with the signal strength/quality 65% & 100%. He did not reccommend a full factory reset as in his experience it did not help and would delete all my recordings.

I cannot see that the aerial is at fault as a reset immiediatly solved the problem for a while.

Is anyone else having similar problems ?

We have another engineer booked, but  I am not feeling confident that the problem will be fixed, Sky broadband/TV here we come.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Dropouts/pixelation

Welcome to this user forum.

It could be too much signal overloading the YouView box. You could try a 6dB attenuator which you can get from TV shops or online.

Signal overload is quite common if you are near a transmitter, or have an aerial amplifier.

If the signal is too strong, the digital tuners in the YouView box cannot extract the data from the muxes.

Do you use any of the Internet delivered extra channels? Are they affected as well?

0 Ratings
Hawkhand
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

No noise, this problem only occurs with FreeView, picture via broadband is fine.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

0 Ratings
Hawkhand
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

My signal strength is 64%. I will try internet channels when the problem re occurs.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

All you can do is to eliminate all other factors like signal level and Internet connection quality. Then all is left is a faulty on the YouView box itself.

I assume its one of the newer boxes, which is quite a bit smaller. They still need good ventilation to prevent overheating, which can cause breakup.

0 Ratings
Hawkhand
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

It's on a table next to the TV in open air
0 Ratings
Hawkhand
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks for that, when the picture starts to break up again, I will remove the booster. What I can't understand is why a simple soft reset cures the problem if it is a signal related. Soft reset works every time, but usually every other day.
0 Ratings