cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: Dropping broadband connection when receiving phonecalls

Give it a day. Your line will have been effectively reset and it can take upto 10 days to settle down and reach its best speed. During that time the router will try and reset itself as it tries different ip profiles.

Not saying the problem is now fixed but a line drop or reset is not unexpected.

0 Ratings
KEYVID
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Guess what, just had an incoming phone call and broadband has dropped out again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Eversleigh
Beginner
Message 13 of 19

Sounds much like my problem (see my new post) except that our broadband takes up to 36 hours to come back. 2 months later we have got nowhere - except that a 'helpful' BT employee told me to enquire whether my exchange could be changed - the answer was 'yes - move house' ! 🙂

Good luck 🙂

0 Ratings
Goody
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 19

That has nothing to do with the settling in period and is a genuine fault.

Have you emailed the mods here ? Getting them involved will bring around faster results as they are BT staff who can go directly to the correct departments and demand answers on your behalf.

0 Ratings
KEYVID
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 19

UPDATE

Well finally something has happened, Friday morning things were as bad as ever so I phoned again this time to be informed that my fault had been escalated and someone (nameless) had taken ownership of the problem. They didn't contact me to let me know though, but miracle of miracles, Friday afternoon suddenly speed shot up to 11mbps!!!! and touch wood no connection drops over the weekend.

I have had no communication from BT other than a fault closed text message, hopefully someone will let me know what the problem was so at least it can be posted here as help for others who are being fobbed of with problems your end excuses from the help desk.

I'll be back with their response!

0 Ratings
whyowhy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 19

BT never tell me what the fault is either. last year i had 3 months of being "CAPPED" at 250k BT dont like calling it capped but thats what it is. The same problem has started again and instead of my 4000k profile i had for most of last year my profile dwindles away to nothing everytime they reset it, and yes you guessed it they never tell me what the problem is. I rekkon BT retail are rubbish and if you want decent service go to another ISP as they deal with BT wholesale, I have read that the two do business in completely diferent ways and BT wholesale get more sorted as they are dealing with big companies, not just little people like me and you who they fob off with excuse after excuse.

i hope your problem is sorted out now, alas mine is the same with no explainations. Looks like a swap to a diferent provider may help as they can chew BT wholesales ears off and get somewhere, unlike BT Retail who couldnt give 2 monkies as long as they get your cash

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 17 of 19

Well here's an explanation ...

Capping is only used to restrict line connections that have broken the FUP ... in other words, if you have downloaded up to and beyond the limit for your network subscription, BT will "cap" the line, under terms and conditions.

What I think you mean, when you refer to capping .... is actually profiling of the connection, of which there are 2 varieties. The first is the IP profile, which is set at the BRAS radius server, according to the level of your sync speed. If your line suffers impulse noise, for whatever reason, in the home, or on the network line, the IP profile may drop, as the sync rate drops, all normal, and designed to protect the network. It is derived by an automatic line monitoring system DLM.

The other type of profiling is banded profiling ... which is applied to 21CN lines that suffer high levels of impulse noise. Banded profiles ensure that the connection is allowed to operate with a high limit, and also a low limit connection, to ensure throughput exists within set parameters ... a band, instead of plummeting like adslMax does.

These two systems are line profile systems, designed to run automatically across the entire BT network, across thousands of connections 365 days a year, non stop, apart from the occasional inevitable outage.

They are not imposed as punishment, or a personal vendetta .... or any such situation other than automatically.

Some of the data associated with such systems is sensitive and withheld by BTw, with good reason.

But a lot of the technicalities of the technology are complex .... and not easy for the lamen to explain.

Hope this has helped you a little...  😉

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
KEYVID
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Latest Update

I now have a dedicated person who is attempting to sort the problem, we have gone through a few days of various caps which have not made any difference to the problem, a ping test revealed some high ping responses and request time out problems so we are back to an engineer visit which I suspect will end up back at the Evesham exchange and a new valve in the sprange frockulator.

I must say they do seem to be trying to sort it at last, but I'm wondering if the previous but one poster is right, I never had these problems when I was with demon.

Hopefully post soon with good news.

0 Ratings
KEYVID
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

At last!!!  Problem (fingers crossed) does seem to have been solved (thanks Alex). We had another engineer 2 weeks ago, he changed our connection completely from house to exchange and instantly speeds improved and connection became much more stable. I was however still getting request timed out problems with a new D-link router which once swapped back to the bt hub, went away. 

I am now waiting for D-link to reply to tech support emails (here we go again) but at least my broadband works now and I'm getting about 12meg which is pretty good for the area.

0 Ratings