cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 1 of 1

Dual Boot PC's

I have posted on another thread a solution to PC's dual booting Windows and Linux Distros, rather than point to the thread I have copied and pasted what I found...

I have been researching this dual boot issue and connectivity to the Hub, this just maybe a problem surrounding the network card rather than the Hub itself.

Each time a machine starts it activates components before the O/S is started, then they are used once those components are found by the O/S.

It appears in the case of Ubuntu (and other Linux distros) it does not release the network card when the O/S is shut down....my apologies if this doesn't make sense....it didn't to me at first had to read the solution twice.

The thread is here http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1081818.html it appears that you need to add an exclude option to the /etc/inet.d/networking, but the exclude option must include all your network connections that you are using, and that Ubuntu has found.  

I still believe once this is done that giving each O/S a static ip address may also be helpful.

I have an old laptop about 5 years not doing anything so I installed the latest Ubuntu distro, it has connected wirelessly to my v3 Hub with no problem at all, albeit the signal is somewhat low, I put that down to either the network card or the driver that Ubuntu has installed.