cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 20

Duplicated emails in outlook

I had a problem that all emails in my in box in outlook were also going into my trash folder in BT . A member kindly adviced me how to correct this. However now that this was fixed I get duplicated emails in my outlook box. can anyone advice how to correct this
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Duplicated emails in outlook

By default, Outlook is set to delete messages from the server when you download them, and in BT Yahoo! Mail they go to the Trash folder. You probably overcame this by resetting Outlook to leave messages on the server. If you do that and leave them in the Inbox, Outlook will download them again every time it checks for messages.

The only way I know to prevent this is to go into webmail and move any downloaded messages that you wish to keep there to another folder. Someone else might know better.

Sorry, misunderstanding on my part - see message 6.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 20

Hi Many thanks for your reply when my email were going straight into my trash folder in bt I changed settings to leave on server which then sent them to bt in box but then got duplicates in outlook . Will see if anyone else post any information or I may just go back to settings and not leave on server Thanks again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 20

You may be able to achieve what you want by using IMAP instead of POP3. I've never used IMAP so will say no more, but I'm sure someone will pick this up and advise.

Meanwhile there's an explanation here: http://mail2web.com/blog/2010/02/pop-imap-difference/.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 20

Thanks for the information will have a look at the site you sent .
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 20

@pottyperson wrote:

By default, Outlook is set to delete messages from the server when you download them, and in BT Yahoo! Mail they go to the Trash folder. You probably overcame this by resetting Outlook to leave messages on the server. If you do that and leave them in the Inbox, Outlook will download them again every time it checks for messages.

The bold statement is incorrect. Outlook knows what it has downloaded and does not download them again.

If it does download them again it is usually caused by the download of emails terminating incorrectly last time used. It can also be caused by changing certain parameters in Outlook (EG server details).  This is also true for Outlook Express although possibly not true for Thunderbird.

The only way I know to prevent this is to go into webmail and move any downloaded messages that you wish to keep there to another folder. Someone else might know better.

See comment above.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 20

You are experiencing the same problem as a lot of others, it has happened to me for about 3-4 weeks now.

When you do a send/receive in MS Outlook I expect you get a send/receive error message flash up at bottom of screen after it has sat receiving last e-mail for a while. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 20

Thanks for your reply. I think I will remove save copy on server and go back to before for now. Thanks again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 20

Thanks for your comments. I don't get any error message up only duplicated emails Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 20

@landie57 wrote:

You are experiencing the same problem as a lot of others, it has happened to me for about 3-4 weeks now.

When you do a send/receive in MS Outlook I expect you get a send/receive error message flash up at bottom of screen after it has sat receiving last e-mail for a while. 

If the last email has a "largish" attachment and you have a "slowish" attachment then you may find that looking at the email via webmail and then deleting it or moving it out of your webmail Inbox to anther folder may resolve the problem.   Largish and slowish are related in that for slower connections the size of attachment goes down for this problem to happen. 

0 Ratings