Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Durham line fault with 500 houses off but not showing on system status

Go to solution

My neighbout asked for help today as her telephone had gone off after 3 days of no internet.  SHe's on TalkTalk. 

I try my phone, and there is no dial tone.  But I have BT Infinity, and that works, so it has to be between the cabinet and the exchange.

On the BT web site, it shows as no problems reported.  SO I input my details into the line checker, and it diagnoses a fault and gives me a code VOL012-**********.

Next I go to the TalkTalk web site which shows

27/03/2015 11:41  

P3 – Openreach cable break near Durham exchange. Multiple customers will be unable to use their phone, broadband and TV services for the duration of this incident. Root cause and estimated resolution date in currently unknown.

So I tell my neighbour, then go the other side to let them know (both sides are late 70s, early 80s).  They already know and have been ringing BT (on mobile) about it since Wednesday - ie the same time as the other neighbour lost her internet.

It turns out that it is a known and major fault, due to the main cables having been cut through.  (There are electricity works going on laying a new cable in the main road near the cabinet, so it may be that.)  Apparently due to the severity of the issue the estimated fix date is 7 April.  Today is 27 March and it has been known about since 25 March, when BT first acknowledged the problem to one of my neigbours.

I have just checked the Service status across the UK page, and it does not show any problem for Durham.

I've just checked the service status page again for my home number and it is showing the fault I reported but saying

Fault diagnostic run

It looks like the problem is in or near to your home, and we'll need to contact you before sending an engineer. We will be in touch with you on the details you have provided us with.

We should be in touch within 24 hours.

BUT THEIR OTHER HAND HAS ACKNOWLEDGED A GENERAL FAULT AFFECTING 500 PROPERTIES!  Madness.

So why didn't it showing as an existing fault ?  WHy is it suggesting the fault is in my home?  Wouldn't it be great if I could add further comments to the fault report?

I struggle to understand BT at times.  Do we really have to wait nearly a fortnight (based on estimated clearance date) and during this time not even have BT publicly acknowledge a fault? 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To err is human, but to really mess it up requires a computer
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Durham line fault with 500 houses off but not showing on system status

Go to solution
It is not a BT fault it is a Openreach one BT can only update the fault page if they are told BT is a service provider like talk talk and get no preferential treatment from Openreach
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
It is not a BT fault it is a Openreach one BT can only update the fault page if they are told BT is a service provider like talk talk and get no preferential treatment from Openreach

Sorry, but they have been told.  My neighbour who spoke with BT several times since Wednesday has been told by BT that there is a major fault affecting 500 homes.  So the question still stands - why is it not in the online System Status report page?

Oh, and the Openreach for my postcode says

No major incident reported

Please note: The checker will only show major incidents and sometimes service issues are caused by smaller faults. Whether the checker shows a major incident or not, if you’re having any problems with your telephone or broadband service, you should contact your service provider.

So clearly no one has any idea what is going on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Here are some links to check. http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15036

http://community.plus.net/exchange-information/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
BT can only post information Openreach give them and as you post Openreach's postcode checker reports no fault talk talks checker now just shows in progress no fix date also worth remembering talk tak use their own equipment at the exchange this fault may be affecting more of their customers than BT's

what is your dialling code ?
0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Well, the fault has been fixed.  It was clearly a cable fault as my neighbour's TalkTalk is also back working.

0 Ratings
Fellwalker
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks. I'd tried the BT ones, which showed nothing. I have not been home since 7pm last night and when I came home this afternoon it was fixed.
0 Ratings