cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Dynamic Line Management reducing connection speed (below 5Mbps)

Go to solution

Hello, after 3 months of major broadband connection issues (moved into the property in July) I have enjoyed one month of comparatively stable service (it seemed that a firmware upgrade for the Superhub drastically improved the stability of the connection).That is not to say the connection hasn't dropped over the last month: it drops daily but with a few exceptions, is back up again in a few minutes. Compared to before, when the connection was down more than it was up, I can live with this.

Unfortunately, it looks like Dynamic Line Management has stepped in to reduce my speed from about 15Mbps to under 5Mbps. I think I need a moderator to help me arrange for an Openreach engineer to reset the DLM before the speed drops any lower. Can anyone help please?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Dynamic Line Management reducing connection speed (below 5Mbps)

Go to solution
You can call the technical help desk and request an engineer visit.

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution
Thanks for the response, Webby. For the avoidance of any doubt, I have been through the BT process again and again and again. Believe me, after the trouble I've had, we are way beyond "the technical help desk" and "connected to... an extension".

The reason I posted here is because, alas, the only way to make any progress is with the assistance of the moderators who monitor these forums from time to time.

A little history for your benefit can be found here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Delayed-installation-incomplete-BT-TV-And-now-no-Broadband...

And here:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/On-going-problems-with-BT-Infinity-Broadban...

Cheers,

Chris
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

There is little point in resetting DLM if you still have an underlying fault. That needs to be fixed first.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution
Hi licquorice, after 7 engineer visits, no underlying fault has been detected. My line passes every test with flying colours. I agree resetting the DLM once a month isn't ideal, but in the absence of any other solution, it seems to be the only way.

The fact that the firmware upgrade had such a big impact suggests that the problem is software related, if not a fundamental problem at the cabinet itself.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

Connections don't reset without reason. Regardless of how many engineer visits you have had there is still an underlying fault somewhere that needs to be resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution
I hear you and, trust me, I feel it having been on the sharp end of it for months! But if an engineer came out now, he would once again inform me that there is nothing wrong with the line and so there is nothing he can do. He would also mention the fact that I'm over 2 miles from the cabinet and therefore its a miracle that I even have a connection!

The fact that the firmware upgrade had such a major impact certainly supports that and needs to be reflected on. The only thing an engineer can do is reset my DLM.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Which theoretically he is not allowed to do unless he clears a fault.

Have you considered buying either a third party router or an Openreach modem?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
Sure, I think they call it a "broadband boost" which means do the checks, see that everything is okay then reset DLM.

Yes, I bought a Netgear Nighthawk. My current setup is that the Smarthub is connected directly to the port. WiFi is off. I have one single Ethernet connection to an Ethernet switch and that then relays the connection around the house (through two powerlines, one of which is then connected to the Nighthawk modem which does most of the heavy lifting, including on WiFi).

Once my DLM has been reset, I'm tempted to swap the Nighthawk with the Smarthub... For now, I'm trying to keep the Smarthub on continuously to encourage DLM to increase speed.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

DLM won't care if it is the Hub or the Netgear connected to line and if its the hub that's causing the disconnects you will be better off connecting the Netgear.

0 Ratings