cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

E/O Line - No Hope in Central London?

So I live in SE16 and recently reached out (pun intended) to Openreach regarding the status of FTTC in my area. This is the response I received:

Thank you for sending your details, you are connected directly to Bermondsey exchange, this is called an E/O line. Unfortunately, as your line is fed directly from the exchange it fails to meet the commercial criteria. This is because the solution to deploy Fibre Broadband to lines connected this way would not provide a return on the investment based on the costs for the construction and on-going running costs.

Now - I am greatful for Openreach taking the time to get back to me and I realise that Fibre is a business, but where does this leave me? My research shows that Southwark council hasn't received any government funding for broadband and I live so far from the exchange that the slow internet speeds mean that we mostly use the 3G from our smartphones to surf the web at our house.

Is there any hope for me and the thousands of people in our position?

Can someone please give me some hope? or a solution?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: E/O Line - No Hope in Central London?

there are many posts like yours and a few have been solved by openreach erecting new cabinets outside the exchange to enable customers to get FTTC - don't know criteria openreach use to decide cabinet or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

That approach would make sense...especially considering the fact that there is no cabinet serving my area (as far as I or my neighbours can tell).

You would think that Openreach would mention something like that in their e-mail though...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

as it has only happened with a few post I doubt openreach want to give you false hope - and  it is only a trial with the cabinets

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 8

Have a look at this thread especially message 5  http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/DIY-Fibre-Enabled-Green-Cabinet/td-p/893572 .

I appreciate this is not a cheap option but if there was enough local support and drive then who knows what might happen.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the link...the fact that people need to resort to this is rather sad though, isn't it?

The government is trying to put everything 'online' to save costs over the long term...shouldn't broadband be as key a requirement as running water and electricity?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 8

Quite true but for those in rural areas this may be the only option to gain a decent speed. At least you are connected to the exchange and presumably have something in excess of 5mbps?  If you do then your broadband is acceptable imho - loads will disagree but then look at everyone on a long line who only dream of 5mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Conrad...my speed is ~800Kbps to 1.2 Mbps

As mentioned in my original post, I get more out of my mobile provider on my smartphone.

Kill me now...

0 Ratings