cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 381 of 671

Re: E-mail password rejection

If anyone using Mail.app on a Mac is still having problems, it's worth a reminder that Mail.app seems to "forget" passwords on other POP servers too:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3226205?start=0&tstart=0

The "forgotten" password (of course it isn't really forgotten) has plagued me mainly on the BT server, but I haven't seen it for a few days now. On the other hand, I recently had the same problem on a different server.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 382 of 671

Haven't had that problem personally. Been using Macs since the Lisa Electronic Office (yes I know I'm an old git) and haven't had a serious problem. There have been occasional glitches with certain software releases but nothing too significant.

I use various flavours of windows (200 to 7), OSX mostly Snow Leopard and Lion and Linux. When this problem hits, it seems to affect all platforms equally. Webmail usually works of course.

@chazzo wrote:

If anyone using Mail.app on a Mac is still having problems, it's worth a reminder that Mail.app seems to "forget" passwords on other POP servers too:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3226205?start=0&tstart=0

The "forgotten" password (of course it isn't really forgotten) has plagued me mainly on the BT server, but I haven't seen it for a few days now. On the other hand, I recently had the same problem on a different server.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 383 of 671

jtennet: sorry, I didn't want to distract attention from the particular problem that BT has been having -- I know from the discussions above that this problem has affected many different platforms.

However, it's clear from the Apple forum I mentioned that a similar issue affects Macs trying to connect to other servers besides BT. My reading of that thread is that it happens with Mail.app rather than with other mail clients -- including Eudora of fond memory. One of the posters implies that it's machine-specific, and my experience tends to confirm this. I have two G5 iMacs, both running 10.5.8. One has password rejection problems, the other doesn't.

I agree that the issue has definitely shown up worst with BT, who seem to have been working hard to fix it, so I hope it's now done and dusted. Thank you, mods, for your help to date.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 384 of 671

Re: E-mail password rejection amd SOLVED for BTIJNTERNET customers

I have just had a BT internet technician online to solve my POP server rejections

The solution is to change the server name to mail.btinternet.com

Simple when you know the answer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 385 of 671

Tony,

That address is the standard setting. The address that was failing in the first place. Most of us tried several alternate addresses which are now, themselves, failing. The original problem seems, for the most part, to be fixed (for now). Consequently, changing the address back to mail.btinternet.com puts everything back to normal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 386 of 671

@TonyARG wrote:

I have just had a BT internet technician online to solve my POP server rejections

The solution is to change the server name to mail.btinternet.com

Simple when you know the answer.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

That server name is the proper one, and has been for years! (for btinternet email addresses)

What did you have set if I may ask ?

There are various yahoo server names to choose from as alternatives.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 387 of 671

mail.btinternet.com has been working for me for a couple of weeks now, but everytime I start Outlook I get an Internet Security Warning and have to install the certificate everytime, which bizarly is showing as pop.mail.yahoo.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 388 of 671

FYI  - I have not had the problem for at least 2 weeks, so it would appear to be fixed, at least for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 389 of 671

I had been getting the following rejection

Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] Access to this service is not permitted.

on accessing pop.mail.yahoo.com

until I changed to mail.btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 390 of 671

Yep,

pop.mail.yahoo.com seems to be failing consistently now. I've moved all my customers back to the standard address and they all seem to be working OK.

@TonyARG wrote:

I had been getting the following rejection

Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) : 'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] Access to this service is not permitted.

on accessing pop.mail.yahoo.com

until I changed to mail.btinternet.com

0 Ratings