cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robinbredin
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 4

EDIMAX USB Connector

Has any body got a Edimax 300Mbps Wireless 802.11b/g/n/ High Gain USB Adapter to work with their Infinity HH. I got one, and cant get a connection from my computer to my HH, any body any ideas.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: EDIMAX USB Connector

Yes  I have the 150Mbps working on my wifes Vista laptop and the 300Mbps working on my win 7 laptop.... however

See my  message #2 about the problem I had on the win 7 laptop getting it to connect at the correct/faster than G speed.-

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Wireless-N-USB-adaptor-only-connecting-at-54-Mbps-WHY/td-p/27...

Edit.... remember to turn your internal wireless off. Sorry if thats a bit too obvious.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
robinbredin
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

@PC wrote:

Yes  I have the 150Mbps working on my wifes Vista laptop and the 300Mbps working on my win 7 laptop.... however

See my  message #2 about the problem I had on the win 7 laptop getting it to connect at the correct/faster than G speed.-

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Wireless-N-USB-adaptor-only-connecting-at-54-Mbps-WHY/td-p/27...

Edit.... remember to turn your internal wireless off. Sorry if thats a bit too obvious.

Can't see it, can you post a link for me, or repost it here. Thanks

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

A bit of info on how to check for wireless n or wireless g.- 

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53169846&highlight=#post53169846

But if you've no wireless connection at all ie the software isn't even picking up nearby neighbours wireless signals or perhaps your own Fon/Openzone signals then I would suggest try installing the wireless adapter in another machine and then if same results it is possibly defective.

Anyhow below are my posts about the problems I had on one of the installations.... the other three Edimax installations went perfectly.

I then bought the faster Edimax n and still had problems getting it to go faster than wireless g... but it was/is easier to get going after a few on off clicks.

However I will say they all installed easily and straight away detected the wireless signals around my location.

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Wireless-N-USB-adaptor-only-connecting-at-54-Mbps-WHY/m-p/276...

Re: Wireless 'N' USB adaptor only connecting at 54 Mbps - WHY?? [ Edited ]

Yep I have exactly the same thing happening on 1 out of the 4 machines I have installed adapters on.

The only way I can get it to work properly ie at >54Mbps is using the software I click on the off on wireless tab/switch a few times until it locks onto the correct speed.

I have set my HH3 to transmit only wireless "n"

I'll have a quick look for my post about it.

Edit..... my ORIGINAL post = HERE

Edimax wireless adapter  installed in "2 year old windows 7 laptop, turned the internal wireless off and still speed tests  around 20Mb!!!!!"

......."Lots of mucking around downloading driver updates and swapping types of wireless adapters didn't cure the problem.... but I have found a work around"

"So if I click the wireless of and on two or three times, maybe a max of five times, eventually it comes up with a speed of 65Mbps and stays on that speed setting constantly, allowing me to work wirelessly at the full 35Mbps Infinity speed. (If laptop is set to sleep or turned off then when it is bought back on I then have to switch the wireless a few times again)."

The Edimax allows me to turn the wireless off and on with a click of the mouse.

I even went and bought a faster wireless n adapter which still had the problem however it seems to need a lower number of switching before it connects at the higher speed. (EW 7722UTn)

When connected at the high speed my router shows this laptop as.-

Connection Information
Connection type:Wireless
Connection speed:116 Mbps
Connection status:Currently connected

----------------------------//-------------------------

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-Home-Hub-Bandwidth-Restrictions/m-p/244515#M11024

Re: BT Home Hub Bandwidth Restrictions

[ Edited ]

I have recently posted my findings on another slow wireless speed thread.-

"I have just had Infinity installed (one week birthday... lol)

Anyhow just to let you know some things I tried for a  similar (but not as slow) situation.-

1 year old  (windows 7 Netbook with it's internal wireless "n" card speed tests in the 30 to 37Mb range.

3 year old Vista laptop with internal wireless g tested  around 20Mb.

2 year old windows 7 laptop with internal wireless g tested around 20Mb.

Installed an Edimax wireless adapter in.-

3 year old Vista laptop, turned the internal wireless off and now speed tests  in the 30 to 37Mb range.

2 year old windows 7 laptop, turned the internal wireless off and still speed tests  around 20Mb!!!!!

Tried a D-Link 140 adapter with the same result.

Further investigation by going into the Laptop's "Network and sharing centre" and then clicking on "wireless network connection" showed in the "General" information that the speed was only 54Mbps. THe same speed when it was using it's internal wireless g.

(The Netbook shows 72Mbps and the upgraded Vista laptop 65Mbps).

So still having a wireless card/adapter speed of 54Mbps meant I could not achieve the full Infinity speed.

Lots of mucking around downloading driver updates and swapping types of wireless adapters didn't cure the problem.... but I have found a work around.

The Edimax allows me to turn the wireless off and on with a click of the mouse.

So if I click the wireless of and on two or three times, maybe a max of five times, eventually it comes up with a speed of 65Mbps and stays on that speed setting constantly, allowing me to work wirelessly at the full 35Mbps Infinity speed. (If laptop is set to sleep or turned off then when it is bought back on I then have to switch the wireless a few times again).

So I would check your wireless adapter speed and see if it's 65 or 72Mbps".

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings