cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisfrm
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

EE Sims VS BT Sims

Hi I've recently moved and been very surprised at the low quality product that BT provide. Whilst they may have great data prices it's really not enough.

So far it seems BT on iphone have:

No Wifi Calling from home or work (and by that i also mean recieving calls over Wifi without having to open another app.

No London Underground platform coverage

No Visual voicemail and no phone message alert other than a text that is send and a second rate voicemail system.

I'm discovering that it looks like they throttle the band width. My EE iphone seemes to get better speeds than BT Mobile ( can this really be true?).

I'd be interested if anyone has discovered any other negatives.. BT really need to sharpen upo their act if they are seroius about mobile in the UK.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: EE Sims VS BT Sims

@chrisfrm wrote:

I'm discovering that it looks like they throttle the band width. My EE iphone seemes to get better speeds than BT Mobile ( can this really be true?).

Yes, it can really be true.  The standard speed on BT Mobile is capped at 30M.  If you want the cap raised to 60M, there's an extra fee.  Of course, there's no guarantee that you will actually get those speeds on any given day.

From the web site:-

Extra Speed

With Extra Speed 4G, the maximum speed available through the network is capped at 60 Mbps rather than 30 Mbps on our standard 4G. The speeds you get on your phone will be lower, and depend on things like the number of users, distance from the mast and the type of 4G phone you have. This add on is valid from the moment you buy it and then runs on a 30 day rolling contract. Extra Speed 4G is not available on BT Business Mobile plans.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

@Ectophile wrote:

@chrisfrm wrote:

Yes, it can really be true.  The standard speed on BT Mobile is capped at 30M.  If you want the cap raised to 60M, there's an extra fee.  Of course, there's no guarantee that you will actually get those speeds on any given day.

From the web site:-

Extra Speed

With Extra Speed 4G, the maximum speed available through the network is capped at 60 Mbps rather than 30 Mbps on our standard 4G. The speeds you get on your phone will be lower, and depend on things like the number of users, distance from the mast and the type of 4G phone you have. This add on is valid from the moment you buy it and then runs on a 30 day rolling contract. Extra Speed 4G is not available on BT Business Mobile plans.

Yes, it's still confusing with the BT / EE system.

There are 7 /8 "masts" locally within 1 mile. All EE apparently. Reception on most days is good for 3G, and very occasionally 4G. So at least you are gauranteed a voice connection all days, and a data connection most days.

Inidentally I had a sales call form BT Mobile two days ago, (yes some sales calls are genuine!), asking if I wanted to upgrade the phone model, family package, etc, etc.

I quizzed him on the BT / EE integration, and the response was: "it's coming,,,, eventually".

Have noticed a slow but gradual improvement however. Just a few miles away in a market town, data speeds are declared as 42mbps, indoors, in buildings such as stores, banks, meeting halls etc. (This is discovered using a software add-on on the phone.) Speed is capped for non business users, of course. 

The real problem is when you go out into the hills, e.g. for a meal. No mobile reception. "We don't use mobiles here" is the usual comment....or "I use 3", etc, etc.

Now there's an idea: what about a triple sim phone?

0 Ratings
nickdv1
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Gotna dual sim lg v20 phone so can put ee and bt sims side by side. Not impressed with bt. Ee give 2 ton3 bars at 4g but bt 3 to 4 bars at 3 g only. I am on 7th floor in uxbridge so signal is good. Not imprrssed as new bt customer. Bt dont tell you about the cap!
0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

@chrisfrm

BT have never claimed to be, or offer the same services as EE other than it uses the EE Network. It is confusing, and to answer your questions...

Wifi calling is due soon, text is now starting to appear on their website and on the mobile app. I believe they are currently testing 4G calling and Wifi calling ready for a roll out. But no date has been set..

No undergroung coverage, BT Mobile would argue that they give BT wifi allowing you to use free wifi when connected.

Visual voicemail is actually on a few networks, most MVNO's don't have it.

In regards to throttling, as mentioned their is extra speed that wil double the entry level speed. But what is also important to note is that BT Mobile in theory rents slots on EE mast so you may not always get the same speed or indeed coverage as say an ee customer.

It does seem like BT Mobile is a little behind but although BT and EE are part of the same group they are bothing running as seperate companies. EE has features that BT doesnt and thats why its almost double the price per month in most cases. When you have reception, BT Mobile offers great value for money. It is a little frustrating when you are out of coverage, but then EE needs to keep some unique selling points to justify their monthy charge.

I think you will see more about wifi calling in the coming weeks

0 Ratings