cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 13

EO Line - Who to contact?

Hello,

I am on a exchange only line and was wondering who to contact regarding some information about when the line may be able to get BT Infinity?

I've tried emailing nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk but all I got back was:

Please note that we will not be responding to your enquiry  as the NGA Enquiry Portal is now closed.

Which was quite infuriating.

I work in the IT indusutry and work from home frequently therefore the additional speed offered by BT infinity would be very useful.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: EO Line - Who to contact?

EO lines will not even be looked at until the end of the FTTC roll-out for obvious reasons.

EO lines have been tested and resolved in test areas but are on the "back burner" until the above is complete.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

I know every ounce of speed is welcome, but surely you must get a very reasonable speed on ADSL being fairly close to the exchange.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 13

There's no guarantee that EO lines are close to the exchange.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Common misconception, people thinking because someone's on an EO Line they are a stones throw from the Exchange.

Not always the case, I've known EO Lines that are 11km long......

Anyway, only hope for people on EO lines is Openreach install a PCP and DSLAM outside the exchange. This of course is no use to people on EO Lines that are 2km+ from the exchange.

Or you get FTTP but only if you find it yourself because there's no way Openreach would pay for it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 13

Could you clarify what those obvious reaons are?

Does anyone know who I can contact at openreach/BT to query the status of my specific phone line?

Note, I live in a medium sized flat complex and all the lines are EO, therefore there is a fair bit of interest in getting this solved.

Specifically, when referring to additional speed I was more referring to the upstream than downstream. The downstream I get is acceptiable (Well, I'd always like more, but I can live with what I have) but I'd likely see significant improvements over my current woeful upstream.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 13

You can check the status of your specific phoneline here www.dslchecker.bt.com

--
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 13

That checker does not give any information at all, just tells me I can get some ADSL services, mentions nothing about fibre.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

All the checker will do is confirm that you are on an EO Line and what services you can get at present. Openreach will eventually put cabinets outside exchanges and connect them up. I believe some exchanges have had this done during a trial period but it is not high on their priority list to roll it out to other exchanges.

Openreach seem very reluctant to discuss their roll out program in general but it might be worth asking your local councillor and MP to ask on your behalf as some posters have been successful in getting information that way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 10 of 13

I'm afraid the checker has told you everything. You're on an exchange-only line, you can't get fibre and you know what ADSL speeds you can get.
--
0 Ratings