cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

EU Roaming, Inclusive or Not

Go to solution

Regarding the change in EU legislation coming into effect 15/06/17. Can anybody give me a straight answer as to whether the minutes, texts and data i currently have included in my deal are applicable if used in the EU/EEA.

Bottom line, if i was sat in France and started browsing the net and remained within my allowance, would i be charged.

Thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: EU Roaming, Inclusive or Not

Go to solution

@SuperFlyGuy99 Thanks for posting. BT Mobile introduced Roam like home on the 01/06/17 so you can now use your allowance within the EU. Check out the link I've included for more info.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

ok

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

I went to France, Belgium and Netherlands early this month i.e. after 1st June, and was using minutes, texts and data, all wihin my package limits.

Even though I had texts telling me I would be charged, I have now been home over 10 days an MYBT does not show ant roaming charges.

Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

One thing to be aware of though is that it only applies whilst the call maker is outside the U.K. If someone calls you whilst you are abroad they will have to pay the roaming rate as will you if you call from the UK to someone abroad.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@cooperman wrote:

If someone calls you whilst you are abroad they will have to pay the roaming rate as will you if you call from the UK to someone abroad.

Not so. UK mobile users used to be subject to a charge for calling another UK mobile number while the phone was abroad, but the practice was dropped years ago. Nothing to do with EU roaming rules, simply that it was deemed unfair because a caller wouldn't necessarily know that their contact was out of the country.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

There has been numerous reports in the press concerning this issue and this is a quote from Which?

"Even though the UK is still part of the EU, consumers should remember that these regulations only apply to roaming—not to calling EU countries from the UK and prices vary significantly."

Whilst some providers may not charge there are reports this not apply to all. A careful check of the T&C's would be advisable.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@cooperman wrote:

Whilst some providers may not charge there are reports this not apply to all.

What reports are those? I'm sure there are now no charges anywhere for calling UK mobiles from the UK; a quick search turns up this and this, and there's probably plenty more.

The Which? quote clearly relates to calling overseas numbers, which is not the same as calling UK numbers overseas.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
A quick warning about roaming chargers whilst in Europe. I found a five pound roaming charge on my BT account. Nothing sinister, its just that I forgot to turn roaming off when I travelled on a ferry between Denmark & Germany. I know it was that part of my journey as it showed as Maritime, exactly the same as a previous ferry trip to France a few years ago.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

check with EU digital communications team as both Denmark and Germany are in the EU (even their waters!)

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/telecoms-internet/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm

I need clarity on accessing voicemail when roaming in the EU. I am a SIM only (family) BT customer. Bt's website suggests that voicemail is excluded from their interpretation of the EU directive on 'as at home' roaming from 15 June.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/50074/~/how-do-i-check-the-costs-of-using-bt-mobile-a...

see 'what's not included'.

I have had confirmation from the EU digital team that if voicemail is included in my plan minutes in my SIM only BT plan in the UK, then it has to be included when I am roaming in the EU. (provided I am still within my allocated minutes)

BT appear impossible to contact by email. I see little point in making this legal point on live chat to some low paid BT employee in an Indian call centre.

Can someone from BT please clarify that the full EU directive, including voicemail, will be respected please?

0 Ratings