Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imp
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Early Termination Charges.

Go to solution

I have been with BT for over 50 years and have decided reluctantly to move to another provider, not least because of the differential which seems to exist between loyal and new customers when it comes to offers and pricing of contracts.

My broadband (infinity) and calls contract terminates on the 19th August, 2015 and I will receive my last bill of the contract (subject to there being no additional call charges) on 20th July 2015 which will be paid on or around 29th July 2015.

I paid my line rental in advance for 1 year when I paid the activation fee for Infinity (£30).

I rang customer services today to find out if there would be any early termination charges if I moved to another provider on the 30th July, 2015. To my dismay, I was told that there woulld be charges of over £100 to pay which would include £65.00 for the BT hub. This is despite the fact that although the contract does not officially end until 19th August 2015, I will have already made the final advance monthly payment on my existing contract.

Can anyone please confirm that this would in fact be the case, because I still find it hard to believe that BT could be so mercenary about this in view of the fact that they are not losing out financially if I move to another provider on the above date.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Early Termination Charges.

Go to solution

I would try online chat and see if they can clarify.  I would not expect a charge for the hub if your contract is complete 

live chat

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

I don't think leaving in July will work.  If you leave part way through a month, then BT will (eventually) refund you for any service you have paid for but haven't used.  So your contract will have ended before the full year is up.

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

The new system replacing the mac should take approx 14 days to transfer over - therefore you will need to contact your new ISP requesting to move to them on or after the 5th August. The new ISP will have you connected on the 19th August or a bit later which will also be the contract termination date for BT - any earlier than the 19th and you will be terminating your contract early.

0 Ratings
imp
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks to all those who responded.

Last night, I spoke to a member of CS (Nicole) who informed me that there would be no charges if I moved to a new provider at the end of July because I will have fulfilled all of the payments due for the duration of the contract.

I will get a final bill after the contract termination date which will include the cost of any calls which fall outside the terms of the Anytime call package and any broadband excess bandwidth charges.

The only negative arising out of my conversation was that I couldn't get it in writing. However I am fairly satisfied that the information I was given was correct since it was confirmed several times during the telephone conversation.

One very unsatisfactory feature arising out of the process of seeking clarification about any charges relating to my choice of exit date was the the erroneous information dispensed by CS during previous calls. However I am glad I persisted in my efforts until I was lucky enough to get someone who was both knowledgable and sympathetic to my plight.

Conclusion - a victory for common sense!

0 Ratings
Telecom89
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

No matter who you end up moving to I would definitely make sure that the switchover - which normally seems to take 14 days - doesn't happen until after your BT contract actually ends on August 19th.

I would be a little worried that you get different answers depending on who you talk to which is obviously not ideal.

Basically for the sake of waiting a couple of weeks you can be definitely sure that you won't have early termination charges/charges for hardware.

(Edit - just realised I'm merely reiterating what Conrad has said above!)

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Personally speaking on a legal viewpoint the fact that the payments are fulfilled is irrelevant for a contract term - you can still be in breach of a contract if you do not fulfill its terms which in your case is remaining with BT until the 19th August.

0 Ratings