Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ed3303
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Early disconnection charge - leaving within price increase notice period

Go to solution

I received notice from BT on the 6th of February of the April price increases. I called BT to discuss this and was told that if I signed up with another provider (and they informed BT of my switch) within 30 days of receiving the email, I would not have to pay any fees for terminating the contract early.

I signed up with Now TV on the 20th, and received a text on Thursday 23rd, informing me that I would have to pay over £50 for leaving early. I have since received a letter to the same effect. I called BT to discuss this, and was told that this charge would not appear on my final bill, and that I would in fact be given a small refund. When I asked why I received the text, the persion I was speaking to said it was automated and that "lots of peope leave BT every day", seemingly implying that I was somehow to blame for interpreting the text at face value.

As a result, I can only draw one of two conclusions:

1. BT is incompetent and has not put in place measures to prevent incorrect texts and letters about early disconnection fees being sent to thousands of people in a month when those early disconnection fees are not in fact payable.
  2. BT is incompetent and is in fact going to end up charging me this fee incorrectly. Based on my past dealings with BT, I fear that this is the likely outcome.

Has anyone else who is leaving during the notice period received these texts/letters?

And more importantly, is there a way that I can speak/correspond with someone in billing who can have a look at my account and genuinely reassure me that I will not be incorrectly charged?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Early disconnection charge - leaving within price increase notice period

Go to solution

Read the main thread.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/BT-price-changes-April-and-August/m-p/1709458#M83409

You needed to tell them your were leaving because of the price increase, not that you were moving to another provider.

Its only 14 days not 30 days if you move to another provider, so you were probably too late.

The 14 day limit is to give the new provider time to take over the line, before the 30 day deadline, as it can easily take that much time.

0 Ratings
ed3303
Beginner
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply Keith. Unfortunately I took what I was told by the first adviser I spoke to at face value. He said that the switch to another provider would count as notice of leaving because of the price increase. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

See my edited post.

6th Feb to the 20th Feb is 15 days inclusive, so it was probably too late. You should have contacted your new provider on the 6th, or just after.

0 Ratings
ed3303
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Its only 14 days not 30 days if you move to another provider, so you were probably too late.

No Keith, I don't think that's correct. The text in my email is as follows.

"What happens next?

You don't need to do anything but if you want to change something or leave, and you're within your minimum contract term, you'll need to contact us within 30 days of receiving this email to avoid paying a charge for leaving early. You'll need to give us 30 days' notice to leave (or 14 days if you're switching to a new provider). We won't charge you for any increase in price during that time."

That says that BT needs to be contacted within 30 days of the email. They need to be told 14 days before the switch. That is not the same as what you're implying above.

I did contact BT within 30 days, telling them I intended to leave by switching to another provider. They told me that by switching, I would be giving them notice. Both my call to BT and my signup with Now TV were well within the 30 day period.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution

I have asked a moderator to provide advice.

I would think that BT would expect to hear from your new provider within the first 14 days, requesting a cancellation.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution
Now TV is not a broadband provider
0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Hi @ed3303 and thanks for posting.

I'll look into this for you. Can you please send over your details using the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
ed3303
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks Keith. I posted here as I had not had much luck with customer services. But in the last few minutes I have called the cancellations/retentions team and I think/hope this has all been resolved now.

Apparently the first person I spoke to in cancellations had forgotten to put a flag on my account that I was leaving because of the price increase. Not confidence inspiring, but the lady I've just spoken to seemed to know what she was talking about, so fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
ed3303
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

@john46 wrote:
Now TV is not a broadband provider

Now TV is a broadband provider. Rebadged Sky broadband, obviously, but it is a provider.

This is the second piece of misleading information from a forum regular in this thread alone. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered.

0 Ratings