Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tazz070299
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Edge Technology

Go to solution

My phone (S620) has recently started displaying an upper case E at the top of the screen. The handbook tells me it is an Edge Technology indicator.  Whilst I think I understand what Edge technology is, my question is should I be overly concerned about the impact upon a) battery life & b) call charges?  The reason I ask is because I know that these can be impacted (adversely) if I use the GPRS facility for receiving data.

Tazz

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
stokesd3
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Edge Technology

Go to solution

Shouldn't be overly concerned about battery life no because while the faster processing required will inevitably suck more juice out of your phone, this will be negligable and any downloads that you do will be completed quicker anyway compensating for this Man Happy

Cost-wise you are charged per MB either way so there will be no difference.  It'll just mean you spend it quicker ha ha

colinrog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Just to add a little to the earlier reply.

As I understand it, if you are using Edge rather than plain old G(PRS) then there would be no significant battery or cost implications. However, if you are now using Edge where before you were NOT using plain old GPRS then you will begin to use up your data allowance and will have to pay if you go over the allowance. There were plenty of tips on the old forum, probably on Neil's site too, about how to control GPRS usage. Worth taking a look at if you haven't come across this before.

Colin
Tazz070299
Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Thank you both for your quick replies. I will check to see if there is a way of controlling the Edge usage as with GPRS.

Tazz
0 Ratings
Highlighted
homeinmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

I have found my data usage has increased marginaly, but I think this is because the pages load fast and I dont give up because of the long wait with GPRS. As long as you have switched off the push on e-mail you should be ok as Edge is just another method of delivery.

0 Ratings
colinrog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Out of interest, where, in the country, are you getting edge? I don't think I have seen it yet (mostly in Lancashire but I do go out sometimes!)

Colin
0 Ratings
Malcolm_Herring
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I think Vodafone must be in the process of upgrading their network. In the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I now get EDGE in most places I go, whereas before it was always just GPRS. (North Yorkshire)

0 Ratings
glynwhite
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

I keep humming that Grandmaster Flash song for some reason:

Don't push me cos I'm close to the Edge.

0 Ratings