cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Electric fence causing problems with phone line

Hi, I just wondered if anyone else has suffered this problem.  I am writing this on behalf of my elderly mum who cannot use her phone for more than a couple of minutes at a time, due to the constant clicking caused by a nearby electric fence (she lives in the country).  I have experienced it myself, it's like torture and makes you feel sick after a couple of minutes of listening to the loud clicking.  She has phoned BT complaints several times, got a call centre in India where folk have no idea what she's talking about - electric fence???  They simply test the line and say there is no problem.  My sister also tried phoning to complain but got the same useless response.  Since the fault is being caused by a local farmer, surely it is up to BT to ask them to fit a suppressor to the fence, as it is causing problems with their service.  Also, the farmer is well known to be an awkward person and would not do anything if we asked him, but would likely do it if asked officially by BT.  My mum now does not phone anyone unless she really has to, and feels she is paying for a service she cannot use.  

Does anyone have any advice?  Hope I'm writing this on the right forum by the way.  Thanks very much.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Electric fence causing problems with phone line

BT do not provide or maintain the external network. This is done by Openreach who work for all service providers.

Openreach do have a small team of people who deal with this type of problem, which does happen from time to time.

Provided that BT is her service provider for line rental and calls, I am sure that one of the BT Care Team could locate the appropiate group within Openreach that deal with REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise).

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to help you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

Thanks so much for your helpful advice Keith, I will contact them and see what can be done.  Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Sometimes its caused by part of the electric fence breaking down and generating a spark. This acts like a radio transmitter and can cause interference to phone and radio reception.

About 30 years ago, I use to be involved in Radio Interference work for the Post Office, and this was quite a common problem in rural locations, as the old mechanical electric fence generators use to generate sparks inside them as well Smiley Sad

I am sure that someone from Openreach will be able to help in your location.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

hello,
Can anybody help me.
I have for the past 2 years or so a problem with electric fences on a pig farm a few hundred metres from my house.
Openreach have visited twice over that period and both times identified the problem as being the pulses from the fence.
Not only do we get a clicking noise on the phone line, but about 5 or 6 times a day we loose our internet connection.
Our Line provider is Titan Telecom who have been helpful up to the point of directing me to Openreach, who direct me back to Titan.
I have spoken to the farmer who seems unwilling to help.
Any suggestions ?
Jim
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

No one here can help you as you are not a BT customer it is down to your provider to deal with Openreach with the problem they should not be passing you off to Openreach as they only deal with service providers
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

On lines that don't have broadband , making the line a  'DACS' line can resolve problems caused by induced noise from electrical sources, ( this fix is used for lines near electric railway lines that that have noise induced by overhead power to the railway) although not it's intended use , DACS , a digital access carrier system, is not affected by this problem

DACS is not compatible with broadband lines, and can cause problems if the line in question is currently a DEL (direct exchange line) but  orders broadband sometime in the future

As far as I know OR have no power to force others to deal with problems like this, it's possible that the government may have some sort if department that deals with this,

I would imagine all a service provider could offer is to cancel service without penalty if the issue cannot be resolved by making the line DACS, and this would require the user agreeing not to have broadband

I'm not sure why you think your provider is being helpful directing you to contact OR, that's their  job, not yours, and in my opinion is poor customer service, not good customer service

You don't have a contract with OR, you have a contract with your service provider, they have a contract with OR, and OR are obliged to deal with the service provider, not you

Finally, as this is a BT consumer forum, and you are not a BT consumer customer, any BT staff that may drop by here won't be able to help you, you need to get back onto your provider

0 Ratings