cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Email Account keeps being hacked?

I have numerous email accounts with various companies, all maintained on my laptop. A week or so ago I received a message from BT that my email password had been changed. I tried to log on and couldn't so tried to change password and was told that the system didn't recognise me. Contacted BT via chat who couldn't sort me out so then passed me to another department who found that my security question had spurious characters preceeding the actual answer. This was sorted out.

The next day I received another email saying my password had changed. I tried to access the system to change the password and, once again, my security question was compromised. Once again I contacted BT and the problem was resolved. When I queried why this was happening I was told that I need to keep my password secure.

This morning, whilst drinking in a coffee shop my phone beeped and, hey presto, my password has been changed again. I haven't accessed the account for at least 12 hours. Got home, can't change password as system doesn't recognise me so back top BT on chat.

As I mentioned earlier I have numerous email account with various companies and none of them have reported any problems - just the BT email. Anybody have any idea as to what is going on please?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 24

Re: Email Account keeps being hacked?

@dhj wrote:

I have numerous email accounts with various companies, all maintained on my laptop. A week or so ago I received a message from BT that my email password had been changed. I tried to log on and couldn't so tried to change password and was told that the system didn't recognise me. Contacted BT via chat who couldn't sort me out so then passed me to another department who found that my security question had spurious characters preceeding the actual answer. This was sorted out.

The next day I received another email saying my password had changed. I tried to access the system to change the password and, once again, my security question was compromised. Once again I contacted BT and the problem was resolved. When I queried why this was happening I was told that I need to keep my password secure.

This morning, whilst drinking in a coffee shop my phone beeped and, hey presto, my password has been changed again. I haven't accessed the account for at least 12 hours. Got home, can't change password as system doesn't recognise me so back top BT on chat.

As I mentioned earlier I have numerous email account with various companies and none of them have reported any problems - just the BT email. Anybody have any idea as to what is going on please?

Many thanks

Hi.

When this happens, it's usually someone contacting BT because they think your email address is theirs. However when this happens, the person usually then updates the security answers to match their requirements, rather than simply adding characters.

I assume you received an email saying the password was altered on a different email address, presumably the primary ? If not, how were you informed ?

Unless you do have a security issue with regard malware etc on your computer, then someone should NOT be able to get a password reset over the phone without having the correct security answers. If they forgot what they were, then BT should send a letter in the post to the account holder's address to inform them of a password update. There should be no other way to do this - however I believe BT support are extremely lax in this regard and have often given out a new password to a random person calling who think they own an email address (and failing to give the correct security answers). I've seen this happen over the years.

When you next login to the email account in question, check for any mail forwarding set.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Are you using BTYahoo or BTMail. If you are not sure use this link to check.

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

If you are still on BTYahoo you can check previous log on history using this link.

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login...

It will show you when and what IP address logged on.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Thanks for the info and apologies for the tardy reply. Looks like other people on the forum have been experiencing similar problems to me. This has now happened to me four times and each time, when I eventually get back in i have noticed that the 'security answer' is always preceeeded by spurious characters. For example, assume the answer to your security question is 'boris' then on my account that now appears as '£%-5boris' , or similar. BT response to this is that you 'should make sure that you do not give anybody your password' - really? is that the extent of your technical response? I have absolutely no idea why this has happened and, needless to say, I have set up another account way away from BT. As soon as I have migrated any important contacts I will probably just use this as the 'spam' business email account.

Thanks again for your responses.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 24

@dhj wrote:

Thanks for the info and apologies for the tardy reply. Looks like other people on the forum have been experiencing similar problems to me. This has now happened to me four times and each time, when I eventually get back in i have noticed that the 'security answer' is always preceeeded by spurious characters. For example, assume the answer to your security question is 'boris' then on my account that now appears as '£%-5boris' , or similar. BT response to this is that you 'should make sure that you do not give anybody your password' - really? is that the extent of your technical response? I have absolutely no idea why this has happened and, needless to say, I have set up another account way away from BT. As soon as I have migrated any important contacts I will probably just use this as the 'spam' business email account.

Thanks again for your responses.

Hi again.

Can you link to the other reports ?

I seem to recall there was a very similar problem a fairly long while back for some users, but at present I can't remember the reason - but I believe it was a system fault. I'm sure there's some forums posts about it, so trying to find them ...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

and believe it or not, I have just received yet another notification that my password has been changed. I am trying to get somebody on chat to fix it. I really am very unimpressed BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

@dhj wrote:

and believe it or not, I have just received yet another notification that my password has been changed. I am trying to get somebody on chat to fix it. I really am very unimpressed BT.

Sorry to hear about this.

Are you with BTYahoo or BTMail ? The link to check was posted earlier.

I've remembered about a user a couple of years back, but their security answers were set as :-

Compr@mised

rather than prefixed like yours. Is it the same prefix each time in your case ?

Have you checked whether there is any forwarding set ?

This is a case for a moderator to intervene to check whether perhaps someone else believes that they have your email address and is contacting the help desk for password change (which as I say should never happen if the security answers are not correctly provided).

If there are no different contacts stored via webmail or sent items (or indeed received items to another folder), then it may not be another person. This could also be shown if you are receiving normal emails that are friendly in nature (rather than spam), aimed at someone else.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

OK, just got off of chat and all is now ok (again) Once again the security question was compromised by prefixing a spurious set of characters. The message (timed at 03:22) I received from BT was that my password had been changed. Checking the link supplied I have discovered that I am on Yahoo Email and (until today) the last time my account was accessed at 15:27 yesterday, by me. When I queried why this was happening I was told that either my account had been hacked or me (or somebody) had tried too many times to access the account and been locked out. I can't go along with the hacked theory as there would be no reason a hacker would alter the security question, why not just change to something completely different. 

I am really, really annoyed about this and, as I mentioned earlier, am migrating away from BT. This is very, very shoddy and I think worthy of an email to watchdog.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 24

I forgot to add that there does not appear to be any 'starnge' activity regarding my contacts and/or emails and/or forwarding.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

The "change password" problem has been ongoing for years. It is slightly different to your problem in that when you try to log on you are told to change your password rather than being notified that your password has bee changed.

It does not mean your account is constantly being hacked or somebody is trying to access your email account.

As you are probably aware, you can check your log on history on BTYahoo here.

https://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history?

The password problem seems to affect some users for no apparent reason and there has never been a conclusive fix forth coming from either BT, Yahoo or any forum members.

Some forum users suggest it may be connected to your account being accessed by more than one device such using your phone, tablet and computer and the "fix" for this is not to use the apps to fetch your email on these devices but to only log on when you want to get your email and to ensure you log out when completed.

That theory however is blown out the water because some users have reported the problem even although they only ever access their email from one device.

I may be wrong but as far as I can recall the problem is also not just limited to BTYahoo users but has also affected some BTMail users.

0 Ratings