cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 24

Re: Email Account keeps being hacked?

dhj I have exactly the same issue as you. It started yesterday and the prefix being added to my security answer is $c0mp_ it happened at 11:14 and 16:38 yesterday and there is no history of it via the yahoo history page. No strange emails sent, no sub accounts or forwarding addresses added. I reset the password in windows live mail the first time but did not bother the second time and it's 13:10 the following day and touch wood nothing has happened again - yet! I do not know what to do and have not got time to contact bt to reset everytime I need to access email so like you will get a new address and migrate over time as this is no good! Do please post if you get a solution 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 12 of 24

@dhj and @dollyponduk I'm really sorry about the problems you are having with your email passwords. Please use the 'contact the mods' link in my forum profile to send in your details and we'll get this looked into. You can find the link by clicking on my username .

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 24

Yep, that's exactly what happened to me, down to the exact characters in the security question. The official bt response via chat is that my account has either been hacked, or I have told somebody my password. Then I was told it was because I hadn't logged out, then I was told it was because I was logged into bt via my bt Id , then I was told it was because I was using various different tablets and/or pc's to access my email and then finally it was suggested that it was because I was pulling the mail from a different email account. It was even suggested that my using a keyboard security app had caused it. You can see the pattern here, it is everybody's fault except Bt. They have reset my account but have no idea why but is happening. I can only suggest that, like me, you migrate away from this dreadful service as quickly as you can. I have passed this info onto watchdog but have no idea whether they will pursue it.

As to contacting the mods, why do I  have to do that to get a response? It's already clear that bt have no idea why this  is happening and aren't really interested in sorting it out.

Hope you get it sorted.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 24

@dhj wrote:

As to contacting the mods, why do I  have to do that to get a response? It's already clear that bt have no idea why this  is happening and aren't really interested in sorting it out.

Hope you get it sorted.

It is apparent that the problem is beyond the ability and knowledge of the BT first line Customer Service agents who basically work from a script which "gives an answer" depending on how they use the "flow chart"

As regards "As to contacting the mods, why do I  have to do that to get a response"

You have posted on the forum, presumably seeking help or answers and as the moderators are the only BT staff on the forum and as such are the only people who would be able to investigate what the problem is, it would seem to be a reasonable thing to do but it is of course entirely up to you whether or not you do that. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 24

@dhj wrote:

Hope you get it sorted.

Seems a strange reaction to an offer of help, to refuse to provide the wherewithal for them to do so. If BT weren't interested, the mods wouldn't have offered to help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 16 of 24

I have sent the primary email address to the moderator but not sure what else I had to send. We were given a phone number for 2nd line support after incident 2 but it rang for maybe 20 minutes then we were cut off which is why I came here.

I can understand your exaperation, dhj as you seem to have been given multiple reasons for it none of which make sense. When that happens you begin to feel like you are being told any old rubbish. The problem in this instance though is having absolutely no choice but to run to live chat everytime you want to access email and feel held over a barrel. I probably sound calmer because it only just happened and I have not exhausted as many avenues as you.

I will try and get to the bottom of it and post here if it's ever resolved.

Thank you for your email, at least we both know we got the same letters in front of the security answer. I have no other devices and my husband does not really use this account and does not know the password and I have told no-one the password.

Angela

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 24

dollyponduk

If you have contacted the moderators using the link in the moderators name profile, they will get back to you and be your one point of contact until the problem is resolved. It is best now to leave it with the moderators and not involve customer services or Live Chat as that could cause problems with who is doing what.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 24

Thought I would pop in again to expand on my previous message as I seem to be coming over as a bit of an **bleep**! I am aware that the BT help staff are following a set of questions but, what I didn't expand on, and perhaps I should have, was that after being unable to help I was then transferred to a 'technical' person who then took control of my pc to try and resolve the issue. This happened on three of the four occasions. On each occasion no obvious problems were found, the password was reset and I was asked to change my password. On each occasion my security question answer had been changed and the BT 'technical' person had no answer as to why this had happened other than to repeat what I said in my earlier message.

As nobody in BT appeared to have a solution I submitted a message on this board to see whether a) anybody had a fix and b) whether anybody had experienced a similar problem. It became apparent, reading through here and speaking to some other BT email account holders, that this is not a particularly uncommon problem and not a single person I have spoken to or read about has ever had an expalantion from BT as to why the problem persists. I am, of course, pleased that a moderator should take an interest in this but my point was, why should it take my message to prompt some action. As far as I can tell this has been going on for some considerable time and BT have not fixed whatever the problem is. I am certain that the moderator can arrange for whoever has this problem to have the account reset but that isn't why I wrote. I would like the problem to be resolved so it doesn't happen again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 24

The problem you are experiencing is not the 'usual' problem, that, as you say, has unfortunately been going on for far too long without resolution. Hence the suggestion that the problem be escalated to a mod for investigation. I would urge you to accept the offer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 20 of 24

I have accepted the offer of help and after accidentally emailing Neil instead of the form I filled in the correct details and it is being looked into. I will post here what happens unless they do that themselves.

Since experiencing the problem twice in one day I have not used Windows live mail and have just checked the primary email account a couple of times a day via webmail. I am scared of changing the password on live mail in case that is why it's happening as I do not want to spend the weekend in live chat getting my password reset.

The only peculiar thing I have noticed is the email which was sent to the sub accounts telling me I changed my password was cc'd to my other non bt accounts ones I have and have had in the past which I added for outlook access purposes. I found these listed in btyahoo mail/settings/accounts and deleted a couple I rarely use, but there was a tiscali one which was mine which I've not used in years which came up in the email header notifying me 'I' changed my password, which is not listed in settings/accounts. I will have associated it at some point so why can I not delete that? Also if tiscali are still going could they have issued it to someone else and what use would it be to them anyway....doubt it's relevant but it's all I've got!

Anyway will update asap.

Good luck again to anyone having this frustrating issue!

Angela

0 Ratings