cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 21 of 24

Re: Email Account keeps being hacked?

I got this message whilst out on and am awaiting a call today:

Thanks for the email. I called and left a message on the home number as the mobile wasn't connecting.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your email account becoming compromised. I can appreciate this is annoying but it's likely to have been due to a corrupt email being received into your inbox. If the email contained a malware virus a standard virus scan won't pick this up. For this you'll need to run a malware programme aswell to remove any malware. Once this has been done we'd advise you to then change the password again.

Please check this link for further advice on compromised accounts - bit.ly/1SrnaLh

We'll give you a call on Wednesday to see how you've been getting on.

Subsequent to this I usedI had found a possible trojan and used this site:

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?name=TrojanDownloader%3aWin...

The security scanner, then this removal tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx

I have put the password to the email back in live mail, downloaded emails, then slightly altered the password and realtered so the real password is not in there all the time. A bit of a faff but I'll have to learn to trust it before I leave the correct password in there.

Not certain this is sorted though but an update nonetheless!

Angela

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 22 of 24

@dollyponduk wrote:
The only peculiar thing I have noticed is the email which was sent to the sub accounts telling me I changed my password was cc'd to my other non bt accounts ones I have and have had in the past which I added for outlook access purposes. I found these listed in btyahoo mail/settings/accounts and deleted a couple I rarely use,
I get that as well, which is frankly crazy.
but there was a tiscali one which was mine which I've not used in years which came up in the email header notifying me 'I' changed my password, which is not listed in settings/accounts. I will have associated it at some point so why can I not delete that? Also if tiscali are still going could they have issued it to someone else and what use would it be to them anyway
Tiscali were taken over by TalkTalk, and the legacy accounts are still going - so you still have that account.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 23 of 24

Thank you for that info Andy. I think it's trial and error and time will tell!

Angela

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 24

Glad you seem to be sorted. Interesting to see the response that ' it's likely to have been due to a corrupt email being received into your inbox'. Is that techno speak for 'don't know what caused it so it must have been a virus'? In my case there were no new emails in my account so that clearly wasn't the problem.

0 Ratings