Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ingy17
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Email Password and Apple Verification Issue

Hello, 

for the past week I have been having an issue changing my email password(s) on my i phone (6s plus) and i pad Gen 2.  

I have been an apple user and a BT customer for for many years and have never had a problem until last week. 

I am a BT internet user and my 4 email accounts are linked to my BT ID.  

I have changed my password a variety of times via the website and also is good and the also on my BT phone app. 

However, apple will not let me update my new passworld at all, it just tells me that they username or password is incorrect but when I put my previous one in it verifies without any issue, which is quite strange.   

I have made sure that all is typed correctly etc and so there shouldn't be an issue, right? 

I have even deleted my email account on my I pad and re-installed it on my i pad and this also is no help.

I have contacted apple and I have completed all the things they have asked apart from "return to factory settings" which I am very lothed to do if I can get the issue solved.   

I did phone BT customer care this evening and they told me it was an apple issue, but now reading on the forum I am not alone with this problem.  

if anyone has any suggestions, I would be very grateful.  

Ingy

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Email Password and Apple Verification Issue

See links about changing passwords.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9864

When you change your BT password on an iPhone/iPad it may only change for INCOMING mail.

To change the outgoing mail password you have to go into Settings; then scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars. 

From there select the BTinternet account and select the account where it is listed under IMAP.  

You will find the details for the account and can change the password for the Incoming Mail Server there, but the outgoing mail server simply shows SMTP and mail.btinternet.com

If you tap on the outgoing mail server all it shows that it is 'on'.  You have to tap on that Primary Server in order to find where the Outgoing password is hidden so you can update it.  

If that doesn't work, it is not unknown for there to be a disconnect between the servers 

0 Ratings
Ingy17
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi GG, 

many thanks for replying to my question.   Unfortunately, your assistance has not solved my problem.  

If you, or anyone else is able to help me further I would be grateful.  

Ingy 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Are you on the BTMail or BTYahoo email system? If you are not sure you need to log onto your email account and look at the BT logo. If you see Yahoo it means that you are on the BTYahoo system. 

How did you change the password, was it the email password or your BTID password.

On the BTMail system, when you chage your BTID this should change your BTMail password.

If on the BTYahoo system, you need to change the email password separately.

See link for BTYahoo

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13394/~/how-do-i-change-or-reset-my-personal-security...

0 Ratings
mrsjsw3
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I am having a similar issue but on Safari v 10.1.2.  I can now receive mail but not send it - and have tried the various changing password options.  I cannot find the link to an outgoing mail server password.

0 Ratings
Ingy17
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

I have been looking on the forum and get the feeling that I lot of us are are in the same situation unfortunately.  

I am still no further forward with solving my issue, which is completely frustrating as I am not even able to re-add my 2nd email address to my i pad as it will not accept my password.  

I have have never had an issue like this and I have to say I am extremely disappointed in BT.  

I have had an email yesterday asking me if my issue was solved and I have to say no its not.  

Please can anyone let me know if they are having the same password problems on BTmail - no BT yahoo.  

Many thanks! 

0 Ratings