cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 25

Email Server Problems

I've been using Outlook Express as my preferred Email Portal for 25+ years without any connectivity problems, even when I was using dial-in. I've been with BT as my ISP since returning to the UK in 2001 and over the last 18 moths have been experiencing numerous unfathomable error messages when connecting. "Password not recognised," "Server timed-out due to inactivity," (when first logging in) and being forced to use my sub-accounts to send and receive messages.

This is an annoingly intermittent problem with not set pattern of failures. Numerous calls to the Help Line have been useless, as they have looked around and seen no problems with my Server settings (POP3) A recent call to the Tech Help line (that I reluctantly paid for) saw the lady I spoke to, take control and change my POP3 In-Out settings and all has been fixed (it seems)

I have a new Windows 8.1 PC (still in the annoying set-up process) onto which I have installed MS Office Professional Plus 2010, and the Outlook settings showed as my old POP3 configuration. I changed it to the new ones the Tech Desk set up but I still cannot get on it to send/receive as I get an Error/Warning that says the IMAP Server has disconnected. The Outlook Account Settings do not have IMAP in the Pull-Down menu to choose as an option for connecting.

I used to be up-to-date with IT matters, but now I'm dreadfully confused.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Email Server Problems

Outlook can be set up as either a POP account or an IMAP account. You can not change a POP account to IMAP account on the fly. Yoy will need to either delete the POP account and start again or setup an IMAP account to run in tandem with the POP one. Once up and running you could then delete the POP account.

You are best to set it up manually by ticking the "manually configure server settings"  and enter all the settings rather than using the set up "wizard"

The settings you need to use are:

Your Name

Email address: Full btinternet email address

Account type: IMAP or  (POP)

Incoming server: mail.btinternet.com  

Outgoing server: mail.btinternet.com

Logon information:

User name: prefix only of email address

Password: Email password

Tick remember password

Do not tick Require password auth (SPA)

Click Button More settings

Tick box my out going server requires authentication

Tick box use same as incoming

Do not tick log onto incoming server

Advanced Button

Incoming server 993 or (POP 995) Tick requires SSL

Outgoing server 465 Use following type encryption SSL

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 25

I have been unable to send any email out today  [no problems yesterday]. all messages including simple test with no body text get stuck in my Outlook 2013 outbox.

I have no problem using my OUtlook email client for other emaill accounts.  I decided to remove my bt internet IMAP account and start from scratch following the advice given on these pages. But I keep getting the following message:

Send test e-mail message: Your server does not support the connection encryption type you have specified. Try changing the encryption method. Contact your mail server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP) for additional assistance.

the only encryption I use is the SSL for both incoming and outgoing server.

Please advise!!

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Every so often your problem seems to raise its head. The best thing to do is do nothing for a day or two. The problem usually sorts itself out. Just check that you have the correct settings and meanwhile use webmail by logging on directly to your BT account to access your email.

Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 25

Thanks for your swift response but being used to heavily rely on Outlook for my various accounts, I find the current situation with BT Yahoo email provision an absolute nightmare.  Do you know when BT service will be TOTALLY separate from Yahoo??

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

I don't think anybody, even at BT or Yahoo will be able to answer that question.

Your problem could be something to do with this link, but I would still leave it for a day or so without doing anything because as I said it usually sorts its self out and by fiddling with things it may cause other problems. If it does not resolve its self in a day or so post back to see if there is anything that can be done.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Yahoo-maintenance-on-BT-accounts/td-p/1496723

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 25

Since yesterdays so called Yahoo maintenance I can no longer receve and send emails in outlook. Keeps rejecting password. My setup is OP3, incoming and outgoing is mail.btinternet.com

Also saw problems with sending in iOS devices. Changing the default setup to yahoo rather than 'other' wizard rectified this. Butr basically the maintenance has bodged mail.btinternet.com.

Can I change the incomng and outgoing server to a yahoo one on outlook so this starts to work. What is the address?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 25

Same here. SMTP and POP seem to have been broken by the upgrade. I readded the account using IMAP and that seemed to work for receiving. But I still can't send. Complete shambles.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 25

Dismal. BT need to get this sorted. It is unacceptable this problem has been caused by the maintenance. I need Outlook client to work with my email.

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 25

What are the IMAP settings if one tried to do this on outlook?

EDIT - don't worry, found them. Same as the other poster, can't verify for outgoing if I add these. Sheesh, this is an utter SHAMBLES.

BT get on it please