cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Email account cant be accessed

I have had a btinternet.com email address for approx 20 years and tried to access last night and was prompted to enter my username and password. It never normally does this. My details were not recognised and I contacted the helpline who told me they would reset my password and gave me another number to ring 0800 633 5335. The next person said that because my internet service provider is Virgin it would have to be done by another dept tel 0808 100 4332 ext 6778. When I rang it was closed and only opens Monday morning. I then found another helpline number as I didn't want to wait until then and she told me my email account did not and never has existed and therefore could not reset the password. Despite my protestations that this was incorrect she said she couldn't help. I am now worried that all my emails are missing which is a great concern as all my bills are paperless!
Can anyone help?
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 5

Re: Email account cant be accessed

@Ajhankmos wrote:
I have had a btinternet.com email address for approx 20 years and tried to access last night and was prompted to enter my username and password. It never normally does this. My details were not recognised and I contacted the helpline who told me they would reset my password and gave me another number to ring 0800 633 5335. The next person said that because my internet service provider is Virgin it would have to be done by another dept tel 0808 100 4332 ext 6778. When I rang it was closed and only opens Monday morning. I then found another helpline number as I didn't want to wait until then and she told me my email account did not and never has existed and therefore could not reset the password. Despite my protestations that this was incorrect she said she couldn't help. I am now worried that all my emails are missing which is a great concern as all my bills are paperless!
Can anyone help?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. For info, BTinternet started in 1995 - so perhaps 16 years for your email address Smiley Happy

I suspect that the access is one of two scenarios It's a fleeting error which can happen from time to time, and may last a few days.

If you are with Virgin Media, the account is probably a payg account type - which could actually have expired. It's a rare thing though.

I'm surprised you were given a different number to ring for a password reset because you were with a different ISP!.

You can see if your email account actually exists by clicking on my shortcuts option 3a. After pressing next, if the account doesn't exist it will say.

There is no particular need to reset your password.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Thanks very much for posting a response. I had gone through the reset password page (the same as your 3a shortcut) when the problem occured and it let me proceed to the security questions so I assume that it recognises the email account. The only trouble was when I put all the info in it came up with a page telling me to contact the helpline. This is how I've ended up going around the houses!

Re Virgin media account, I switched from BT a few years ago and pay a yearly fee to keep the Bt email going. As far as I know I've never been on a Payg account, I've always been on a monthly contract. (or do you mean something different?)

Hopefully it's just one of the little glitches that will right itself eventually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 5

@Ajhankmos wrote:
Thanks very much for posting a response. I had gone through the reset password page (the same as your 3a shortcut) when the problem occured and it let me proceed to the security questions so I assume that it recognises the email account. The only trouble was when I put all the info in it came up with a page telling me to contact the helpline. This is how I've ended up going around the houses!

Re Virgin media account, I switched from BT a few years ago and pay a yearly fee to keep the Bt email going. As far as I know I've never been on a Payg account, I've always been on a monthly contract. (or do you mean something different?)

Hopefully it's just one of the little glitches that will right itself eventually. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Thanks again

Thanks for the extra info, and the reset page is a giveaway for the account existing.

I wasn't sure what your email account was, but guessed a payg because of your ISP. Sounds like you're on the Premium email account (1.50 per month, or whatever it is now with the extra vat).

Is it possible that you may have forgotten the security answers ? I'm not sure - but maybe after a few tries, it locks out.

The account might suddenly work again with any luck. I'd say give it a couple more days, and if it doesn't work by next month (Tuesday), then contact the moderators.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply. I will see how it goes, I'm hoping everything will reset itself at some point. At least I know the email account exists now! The helpline advisor who said it didn't gave me the fright of my life.
Thanks again
0 Ratings