Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grajay
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 29

Email account hacked yet again

Go to solution

Getting really peeved with my btinternet email account which has, yet again been hacked.  I''m using a 14 digit password but it seems even this is not enough.  I've now deleted all the contacts from my email account which I hope is a start but I'd really like to delete the primary email account altogether or change it.

Is this situation likey to improve with the changeover from Yahoo or is this wishful thinking?

Can anyone please help?

Thanks - in frustration

Graham
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Email account hacked yet again

Go to solution

What makes you think you have been "yet again hacked "? Have you checked your log on history? Use this link

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login?.intl=us&.src=ymbr&.partner=&.pd=&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fapi.login...

As has been pointed out by 6029KingStephen in a different thread:

One thing to be aware of is that you only need be hacked once, and maybe were only hacked once. If I'm the spammer, all I need is the saved file of your id and your contacts, and I can reuse it to send mails "from you" as often as I want. I do not need access to your account, nor to Yahoo, nor to BT, to keep doing it.

So closing your account, changing your email, changing your password, all that makes no difference to future activity based on the stolen contacts list.

Just something to be aware of if/when it happens again.

0 Ratings
JoeH79
Beginner
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

grayjay

I have had exactly the same thing and I am beggining to get really fed up with this the same as you.  To see if anyone else had this in the past 24 hrs I did a search and up came your post.

I have had btinternet e mail address for probably 6 years and friends started getting strange e mails from me about 3-4 months ago.  I mainly access the e mail through web mail or my I pad and I dont have an address book held on either.  Luckily some of the friends and relatives who were recipients kept the e mails for me to have a look at. Some of the e mail addresses are ones that are not in my sent box or that I have sent to for 3-4 years.

Anyhow I changed all the passwords on 2 or 3 occassions and each time after 2 weeks it would again get hacked.  The last time a couple of months ago i spoke to my IT guy and we also ran a malware on my work pc which bought up some malware.  Did a password reset and again it got hacked again with 2 more malware being found. 

Eventually we managed to get clear of malware and tightened up the passwords which as resulted in me being clear for a few months up until last night.  On the evening of the 15th I got an e mail bounce back which I had not sent, this was confirmed this morning when a relative showed me an e mail he had got from me.

Getting really fed up with this now and considering knocking bt mail on the head and going elsewhere - question is are othera any better.  I am not that clued up on computers but I know enought to know that this shouldnt happen as persistently as this.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Have you gone through this and in particular the part about forwarding email addresses and have you checked the log on history to see if your account is being accessed.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39411/

It is probable that your email address has been spoofed.  Did you check the headers of the emails that were purported to have been sent from your email address. Did it show where they had actually come from.

0 Ratings
JoeH79
Beginner
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Luckily I have got one of the e mails bounce back and forwarded to my IT chap.

He confirmed that I have been spoofed so it seems a company has sent these out purporting to be me.

I have therefore sent it to the abuse team at bt so hopefully I can get some resolution.

If anyone else has any suggestions then feel free as any input is welcome!

0 Ratings
grajay
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies.  My bt email address is one I never use so I shall just have to put all my contacts on alert not to open any emails from my bt account.  Looks like once you've been done you're for ever at the mercy of the spammers.  Sigh.

Graham
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution

I know that you said you don't have an address book held on either of your devices, the problem is if an address book is held on your webmail account not on your devices. If you use an email client you should put you address book on it and delete any addresses that are on your webmail account although in this case it is bolting the stable door after the horse has bolted.

grajay
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

True - my bad as I'd not realisedthat there were still a number of contacts on my Yahoo webmail account.  As you say, stable door and horse etc!

Graham
0 Ratings
Anne_
Beginner
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

I'm in the same boat as JOEH79 and have had exactly the same experience. I'm very fed up as I also use my BT email as my business email. Having strange emails sent out to your business contacts (as well as family and friends) once is bad enough but now its happened 3 times - latest was on Saturday. Aargh!!

I had thought that moving to BT Mail would solve the problem and was on the phone to BT today to see if this can be hurried up (very unhelpful, they can't even tell me when it will happen even though its been promised for 6 months now). 

I looked over the advice on this forum and used 9930340's advice to look at the log on my account. I can see that nothing was sent out on Saturday so it must be a spoof company using my email address. You have also advised that we should delete email addresses off the webmail platform - which I have now done. That's of course as well as repeatedly changing passwords, security questions, avoiding phishing emails, etc. etc. (Am I really paying for this service?)

But I am now worried by the advice you give that the hackers now have what they need and can send out spam to my contacts as many times as they like. Is there nothing else I can do to stop that happening? What if I leave BT and close down the account?

Anne

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution
Think of it in terms of a burglar enteri g your house and stealing your paper address book. They now have your contacts and your name and address, and can send them as many letters as they like. Changing your door lock or moving house won't help.
0 Ratings