cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stefos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Email address won't configure

As if it's not hard enough trying to find out how to post on this forum! Jeez...

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but I have several ******@btinternet.com addresses that I access through Thunderbird but when I try to add one of the original ones I get the message -
'configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?'
I am 100% sure my details are correct and would be grateful for any advice on how to activate it as unfortunately I have some important documents waiting to be looked at!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
faratid
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Email address won't configure

I too have had this problem today when using Thunderbird.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

@stefos wrote:

As if it's not hard enough trying to find out how to post on this forum! Jeez...

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter but I have several ******@btinternet.com addresses that I access through Thunderbird but when I try to add one of the original ones I get the message -
'configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?'
I am 100% sure my details are correct and would be grateful for any advice on how to activate it as unfortunately I have some important documents waiting to be looked at!

Hi.

Are you letting TB set up the account?

As soon as I enter the initial information, I choose the Manual configure button and take it from there. Sometimes TB gets it wrong.

When you try to add the account again, see what settings TB thinks it needs (I'm sure you know this, but just in case - incoming is port 995 for pop3, SSL/TLS - outgoing is port 465, SSL/TLS - server in both cases mail.btinternet.com).

Does webmail work for that account?

It could again be one of those cases where pop3/imap doesn't work, but webmail does. This is an ongoing fault not properly investigated for years. It could last a few hours, but can be a few days.

0 Ratings
stefos
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your help Andy_N but no joy. I'll give it a few days...

0 Ratings
faratid
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

+1

0 Ratings