Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTL
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Email addresses.

Go to solution

With BT Mail I am entitled to 11 email addresses.  I have two questions. I have one account that I let slip and it is now defunct.  The thing is that it is still counting against my quota. I still have the password and don't require anything from the account. How can I reinstate it? Or is that it--lost forever?

Second question. I am getting a lot of spam on another account which BT doesn't filter out. When it passes thru to Outlook, it detects it most of the time and sticks it in the junk folder. My question is:- If I delete that account does it still count against my quota or does it give me back an available slot?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Email addresses.

Go to solution

Depending on when the email account became "defunct" will depend on whether or not is still counts in your running total and whether or not it can be reinstated.

If it has gone past the recovery time it should drop off your running total and give you back the "slot".

If you decide to set up a new email address you can not re-use any of your previously used email addresses even if the are now permanently deleted.

See Links

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44499/c/7339

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44861/c/7339,7368,7408

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your answer. I had already looked at those items.  The defunct account is well passed the recovery time  but is still being counted in my used quota. If I go into My BT and list the addresses, it is there. The slot has never been returned.   This is what is making me wary about deleting the account that is being spammed. I realise one can't use an email address that has previously been used and have already created a new one.  My intention was then to go to the sites where I use this address and give them the new one.  Then delete the spammed one. But if it doesn't return the slot, then I'll have lost another one! 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

There has been a glitch in the past where deleted email accounts were not being cleared and freeing up the slot. If this has happened to you you can not do anything about it. It will take BT intervention to clear it/them.

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

25 minutes on the phone to BT. Fortunately it was to Blackburn and not India!  BT's answer is that when I create an email address, that is counted as one of my 11 addresses.  If it goes defunct or I delete it, it will still count as one of my addresses.  It doesn't give you that "slot" back.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

They are wrong. You have a running total and if you delete one you get that "slot" back.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for your time and responses. Much appreciated.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Hi @RTL,

What @gg30340 has said is correct. Once you delete an email address it should free up space for you to create another. I'm sorry this hasn't happened in your case. I'll be able to get this corrected.

Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
RTL
Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Contacted by Stuart ( Moderator) and he has done the necessary. Email quota now as it should be.  Have now created two additional addresses and changed my login details on all the sites that were using the spammed address. After that I deleted the spammed one. It will take 60 days so hopefully when that time comes, I will get the slot back. In the meantime I will close this thread as solved. Thanks to all concerned for their help--much appreciated. 

0 Ratings