Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Email but no Internet connectivity

Go to solution

Hello

This is actually for a friend of mine on BT as he has no connectivity so can't post questions.

The problem began with TalkTalk, so he switched to BT only to discover the problem followed him.

He can send and receive emails fine and the HomeHub3 says he is 'Connected', but there is no Internet connectivity.  When you try to browse to a web site it just sits there loading and then you get the standard 'Internet Explorer Cannot Display the website.'

This is getting to the ridiculous stage as there has been 2 OpenReach engineers out and 2 BT dudes.  When it was TalkTalk, they just blamed each other (TT saif BT, BT said TT) but it has never been resolved.  All four have not been able to fix the problem.  He has friends in the same village whose Internet connection with BT is fine.

It is not his computer (I have tried with my laptop and my iPhone - same issue), every possible reset has been done, every filter changed, every cable changed, doesn't work wired or wireless.

The main problem is every time he calls back BT he starts from scratch - 'is your computer on, sir?'

Does anyone:

(a) have ANY idea what this could be?  I suspect telephone line, but I assumed Openreach would have tested that.

(b) any contacts in BT to avoid starting at the bottom of the rungs of support to actually get this fixed?

Thanks very much for the assistance.

Jeff

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Email but no Internet connectivity

Go to solution

I don't understand how he can send and receive emails without being connected to the internet.  are all the  lights on in the hub?

is he connected to hub with cable or wireless?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

@JMW1967 wrote:

Hello

This is actually for a friend of mine on BT as he has no connectivity so can't post questions.

The problem began with TalkTalk, so he switched to BT only to discover the problem followed him.

He can send and receive emails fine and the HomeHub3 says he is 'Connected', but there is no Internet connectivity.  When you try to browse to a web site it just sits there loading and then you get the standard 'Internet Explorer Cannot Display the website.'

This is getting to the ridiculous stage as there has been 2 OpenReach engineers out and 2 BT dudes.  When it was TalkTalk, they just blamed each other (TT saif BT, BT said TT) but it has never been resolved.  All four have not been able to fix the problem.  He has friends in the same village whose Internet connection with BT is fine.

It is not his computer (I have tried with my laptop and my iPhone - same issue), every possible reset has been done, every filter changed, every cable changed, doesn't work wired or wireless.

The main problem is every time he calls back BT he starts from scratch - 'is your computer on, sir?'

Does anyone:

(a) have ANY idea what this could be?  I suspect telephone line, but I assumed Openreach would have tested that.

(b) any contacts in BT to avoid starting at the bottom of the rungs of support to actually get this fixed?

Thanks very much for the assistance.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask how he can send emails without an internet connection ? How is he sending these emails, is it via a mail client program or webmail - (can't really be the latter as that's "internet").

It almost sounds like various ports are being blocked - e.g. port 80 for browsing.

How is he trying to connect, is it always via wireless or does he have an ethernet connection option too. Certianly trying the latter will eliniate a wireless problem which could affect iPhone and laptop access.

Is he actually trying to connect to his own internet connection, and not trying to connect to a neighbour by mistake.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

Hi

Thanks for all the quick replies.

In answer to all:

I have no idea why emails can be sent and received (Outlook) but I have witnessed it myself.  It is not using Webmail as pointed out as that would be connecting to the Internet.

We have tried wired and wireless.  His computer is always hooked up through and ethernet cable and obviously my iPhone was wireless.   The HomeHub did show the iPhone as connected.

His closest neighbour is near 90 years old and doesn't have access to the Internet.  When I scan the area for available WAP's there is only his. Again, though, he always connected through ethernet (and we tried different cables).

As for ports - I didn't think of that but assumed the 10's of calls to BT Support should have or the visiting BT dudes.  Please remember the BT guys tested the connection with their own laptops and couldn't connect.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks again.

Jeff

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution

Sorry, forgot to say all lights are blue and the hub reports being 'Connected'.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

@JMW1967 wrote:

Hi

Thanks for all the quick replies.

In answer to all:

I have no idea why emails can be sent and received (Outlook) but I have witnessed it myself.  It is not using Webmail as pointed out as that would be connecting to the Internet.

We have tried wired and wireless.  His computer is always hooked up through and ethernet cable and obviously my iPhone was wireless.   The HomeHub did show the iPhone as connected.

His closest neighbour is near 90 years old and doesn't have access to the Internet.  When I scan the area for available WAP's there is only his. Again, though, he always connected through ethernet (and we tried different cables).

As for ports - I didn't think of that but assumed the 10's of calls to BT Support should have or the visiting BT dudes.  Please remember the BT guys tested the connection with their own laptops and couldn't connect.

Any other ideas?

Many thanks again.

Jeff

Thanks for the extra info Jeff.

When he was with TalkTalk - I assume he was working fine, and then something went wrong and he couldn't browse etc ? It would seem a wild coincidence if the TT hub went wrong somehow, and he's now got a duff HH3. Has he had any new equipment (i.e. hubs) ?

Would it be possible to take your router (or ask one of the friends in the village) to his property to try ? (not sure what your connection is, but if you're with BT - then it is a simple straight swap especially with ethernet connection).

Can you ask him to email me via my shortcuts (you can tell him the email address) as I want to check something.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution
have you tried another web browser in case Internet explorer is possibly corrupt as to send and receive email even with outlook requires a live internet connection
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

Hi

Yes, Chrome & Firefox and obviously there is no IE on my iPhone so Safari didn't work either.

Very frustrating!

Jeff

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

Hi

Yes, very good point.  It went wrong with TT and after weeks of in-fighting, he gave up and switched to BT.  He went through 2 routers with TT and now 2 with BT.

I am with TalkTalk in a different city but I can take that router down and try it if I know what settings to input for the BT connection.

I'll have him email you tonight.  His name is John Wood.

Many thanks for all your assistance!

Jeff

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution
hi is it a talk talk supplied router if it is it may be locked to their network these however are the settings you need username bthomehub@btbroaadband.com no password needed if the router asks for one then use one of your own choice encapsulation PPPoA multiplexing VCbased or VCMux they should give you access
0 Ratings