cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 34

Email destroyed by BT

I tried to login and my password didn't work. It was reset but then I discovered BT had destroyed all my emails since about 2010. After 31/2 hours on phone and chat to BT on Sunday I was told all mails destroyed migration from Yahoo to BT mail about 27th May 2016. I was told they could only recover 7 days worth & after I complained I was told I would be called back in 24 to 48 hours. No one called me back. Bad treatment by Indian call centre staff and no resolution. Was told BT never pays compensation. If BT can't ensure safety of premium email service BT mail service is too unsafe to be used by anyone and BT is reckless with its customers emails.absolutely appalling behaviour and customer service. I am devastared. I had logged in specifically to try and set up a pop download. Now all my business contacts and mails seem to have gone for ever. I will be moving 2 accounts from BT. After this I advise everyone never to use BT email services. I was told I wasn't the omly customer whose emails were destroyed. Why don't BT have backup servers cloning data?
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
33 REPLIES 33
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 34

Re: Email destroyed by BT

I wonder if info BT gave me was correct because surely yahoo migration was in 2014 not 2016?
Can anyone explain how BT destroyed my emails?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 34

No help to you now, but you should use an email client set up to download your email onto your computer and you can then include your emails in your back up regime, assuming you have one. 

You should never trust any "cloud" system to be your only storage and that includes documents etc.

There is an old adage. If it aint backed up on three separate devices it aint backed up.

As regards your email problem. I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take forty eight hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 34

I logged in on Sunday to set up download via pop3 but BT destroyed all emails before I could do so and without any warning. I also spoke to UK team member and was promised a call back within 48 hours which has not happened.
I think I was spun a tale about yahoo migration as I had used email after 2014. It does not answer why and how BT can just destroy emails on a server.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 34

Hi @klacey,

I'm sorry to hear about the service you had. Can you tell me if you had a business service for your emails? Or, did you get them free as part of your BT Broadband package? Alternatively, were you paying for the BT Premium Mail service?

Let me know in case it's something we may be able to help you with.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 34

Computers glitch.  People make mistakes.  It's easy to lost data accidentally.

The trouble with relying on other people to look after your data is that it makes no difference to them if they lose it.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 34

True. But it has cost BT two land lines and 2 broadband packages as I shall be leaving BT.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 34

Any help retrieving missing emails welcome. I was told I have premium email whatever that is
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 34

I was going to move a third landline and broadband to BT but will go to Virgin instead. Basically BT have lost a good customer through poor service and I will tell people never to use BT if there is another option. Spending 3.5 hours of my time on BT chat and Indian call centre without resolution has been costly as my time is valuable even if theirs isn't.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 34

@klacey wrote:
 I was told I have premium email whatever that is

A BT email address for those without a BT account.

0 Ratings