cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CJS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Email intermittent login problems

Over the past few days I have had extremely annoying email login problems to 5 email addresses using Outlook. It repeatedly asking for the passwords for differing accounts and then works perfectly well for around 15 minutes & then fails again.

We can login to web email accounts individually but this is very inconvenient particularly lately as the broadband itself access9ng BT web pages has been intermittant in the Birmingham & Black Country area (Wlasall, Wolver, West Brom & Dudley.

What is going on?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Email intermittent login problems

There are multiple threads on the forum regarding this problem.

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 18

Yahoo mail has gone flaky again.  it happens from time to time, and has been a problem for years.  If you're using a mail client, then it should pick up the mails eventually.

0 Ratings
Ralph49
Beginner
Message 4 of 18

Sending of password did not succeed.  Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: internal server error (#IS6532)

Have four email addresses.  Random failure with above message getting more frequent over the last 4 days.  Using thunderbird on two win7 systems and bluemail on three adroid devices.  Failure to retrieve emails on all systems.

Been through the usual reset password hoops...Had one 'escalation' phone call resulting in 'webmail is fine go away it's your problem'

Currently waiting for a supervisor call tomorrow.

This is abysmal.  Client/Server email is not rocket science, is established and should be reliable.

Do BT talk to Yahoo at all?  Why can't they acknowledge a server problem?

I'm not going to let this lay. I want a real resolution (most resolutions seem to be wait a while and it will go away) 

Any ideas on how to escalate this further?

0 Ratings
Bitterend
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

I have been having this issue on and off for years.

It is impossible to get past the people on the front of the hepl desk who can only read from a script and just keep going round in circles repeating the same thin over and over.

Yes it is possible to log on using web mail, BUT when outlook opens up the port to access email, BT Yahoo's servers reject the logon.

The usual error code is 0x800cc92 but I have used others.

There is also a problen with BT rejecting emails as spam, and deleting without asking. This is particularly damaging when it is from a company and affects mot only my work, but also the senders. this results in a different error

Remote host said:
554 Message rejected: Policy (1.7.1.1) message looks like SPAM. Guide for bulk senders www.bt.com/bulksender
[BODY]

I have over the years tried setting up a new outlook profile, deleting outlook and re-installing it, tried any number of log on combinations, changed passwords etc. The os has also been upgraded to Win10

This is all the front desk muppets can sugest and then say

'Well as you can log on using webmail it is not our problem'

I have also tried different email clients, none of which really suit me, but the issue persists. it will do this for months, and then suddenly stop.

I am quite sure that this is a problem with BT yahoo, but they will not accept it. so if anyone can give me any clear and definite solution to the problem I would be forever graqtefull.

S of anybody knows how to deal with this

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Like the rest of the 'optional' extras that come with your broadband namely BT Parental Controls, BT Web Protect, BT Virus Protect, BT Cloud, BT Wi-fi, BT Mail and True Key.  You are not paying extra to use them, they are there and you have the option to use them or not.  I only use the mail service and use the DeramMail client.

Some times an account will hang.  I just cancel it and run it again and it works, no big deal.

By all means complain about it but it has had issues like this since as far back as I can remember.  Occasionally hanging, or wanting password confirmed etc.  Going back several years in fact.  If it really bothers you then you should get a proper paid for mail service.

0 Ratings
jlpcld
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Just because this is an optional extra included with your broadband does not mean that customers should have to tolerate such a terrible service as this.

The fact that it has been going on for years makes it no easier to bear, neither does the fact that BT customers were promised their email server would move from Yahoo to BT. This was promised years ago and stopped abruptly leaving some customers stuck with Yahoo. Questions to BT about when the transfer would resume have never been answered.

I bought my own domain and pay for email hosting. This service does not fail, however I have retained some BT email address's and these constantly give "unable to log in" type messages. This fault is worse than ever today I am unable to login with an email client or using the web mail page.

Will anything ever be done to solve these issues?

0 Ratings
MarleyFrog
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

I PAY for Premium Email as a standalone service as my ISP is not BT. I therefore am entitled by contract to a reliable service which I am not getting as it keeps rejecting my password multiple times. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE. BT just wants me to use webmail, but I need to use Outlook for security and processing reasons.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 18

@MarleyFrog

Checked mail several times today, so far no issues with any of the accounts.  So if you are paying separately for the service then complain, or change mail provider.

0 Ratings
MarleyFrog
Contributor
Message 10 of 18

@liam the reason I pay is to keep BTinternet emails addresses so changing provider is not an option. I said "BT just wants me to use webmail" that is all I get when I complain. Unless you know where I can escalate to without going via a call centre with the same script.
0 Ratings