cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

Email - too many recipients

Each month I email out our Parish Newsletter to about 120 addressees.  This month, for the first time, it failed to deliver, returning an error message saying that I am exceeding the temporary limit of the server and that I have too many recipients.  I tried to resolve by splitting into 2 mails of 60 addressees but got same error message

I can understand the need for anti-spamming techniques, but

1.  What has changed since last month?

2.  How temporary is "temporary" ie when will things normailise?

3.  What is maximum number of recipients I can use during this temporary measure?

tks

SD

0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 27

Re: Email - too many recipients

May well be something to do with the current migration of BT's email service from Yahoo! to another platform. If so, it's probably a question of keep trying as things are changing all the time.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 27

I have several groups set up in WLM (I use Windows 7). The sizes range from 6 to over 70. Until very recently I have had no problems sending emails to these groups. However, I have been away for a couple of weeks and since returning have been unable to send to the groups with 70 members. I get  an error message relating to the server of a particular recipient, quoting error message 452.

On researching this it would appear that the recipient whose address in each case is blocking the sending, is number 50 on the list; implying that WLM has put a restriction on the maximum number I can have in a group. I contacted BT yesterday who said they had made no changes to their operation, and, anyway, they could only speak about using the web based BT Yahoo.

I received a message  today from BT saying that the problem was "solved". I spoke with them since I tried a test message to one of my groups with 50 recipients - which failed, but when I deleted one person the test message went through.

A different BT customer service person explained that because of the amount of spam being generated these days, a limit was being put on the number of recipients that could be in a group sent via BT. Their suggestion was that I split my larger groups down to less than 50, but also don't send out emails to two smaller groups within a small space of time. They said that they were "monitoring" the situation but did not commit themselves as to what will happen in the future.

I am clearly unhappy with this situation and will be contacting BT more formally about it. At least it explains why my (larger) group emails are being rejected. 

Do BT view these forums?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 27

I see other people have encountered the 'Too many recipients' message when sending an email to many people, in my case fellow club members numbering 95 and 65 members in each.  On contacting BT Broadband help I was advised that the maximun number of recipients on a contact list is now 25. Is this correct?  It is very inconvenient. BT Broadband helpdesk told to split my contact lists into groups of 25 maximum and send them out at 1 minute intervals. All rather amateurish I would suggest.

Please does anyone know the truth of this matter?

CJS

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 27

Gatehill . This website is for BT subscribers[not business] to try to help each other . It is not a direct contact with BT. You can ask  for a Moderator-who do work for BT to contact you. But as far as I know they work business hours -not including sat/sun.The Moderators are busy just now even though they have increased their number here . From accepting the  problem to answering you will take at least 5 days. As said there are some complaints about this elsewhere on this site. It seems to be BTs      new policy. BUT I am not saying it is for sure.    

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 27

I would like to clarify that I am a BT subscriber in a non-business situation. Interesting that a previous message indicated 25 max in a group, when I have found 49 go through satsifactorily.

My reason for askig if BT read these forums is that a number of companies do, in order to get customer feedback etc.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 27

hi

strange i got that this month too. best i could manage was 20 at a time

jenn

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 8 of 27

Didn't know other companies read the posts here. Should have guessed with the way things are on the net nowadays. I am sure tomorrow[Monday] you will get an official answer to your question. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Hi duncan10; my post was ambiguous perhaps. I'm not suggesting other companies read the BT forum, but I believe that they read their own customer forum websites and I would be surprised if BT didn't read their own!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 27

gatehill

Did you get an "official" response to your query from one of the mods?

I spent ages yesterday trying to send a Newsletter email to about 52 recipients and received the dreaded error  message 452. This Newsletter is sent out monthly and in previous months I have not encountered any problems.

Before checking this Forum today I decided to try to resend my Newsletter email by reducing the number of recipients per send and as others have found out this works.

It seems a shame that you have to visit the BTCARE Forums to find an answer to this sort of problem, I would have assumed it would have been possible to find an answer on the BT site.

0 Ratings