Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Labradormum
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Emails coming down from BT webmail staying in webmail

Good evening

For years Outlook has downloaded my emails from BT without a problem and removed them from the BT site. But for the last few months they have downloaded happily but remain on the BT webmail. Why does this happen? It started around the time when I had to have some work done on my laptop and I had to buy new Microsoft software and I opted for MS 365 so that I could use laptop/iPad etc.

Can anyone talk me through what I have to do to go back to the old way please? I prefer to keep emails on my laptop and only have current ones on my iPad for a short while until I've dealt with them.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Emails coming down from BT webmail staying in webmail

Untick 'leave a copy of the message on the server' in Outlook account settings
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Account also needs to be configured as pop3 not imap
0 Ratings
Labradormum
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

I have looked for that option and I can't find it.
0 Ratings
Labradormum
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

"Account type" is greyed out as IMAP - how do I change to POP3 please? And why? Has been IMAP for years.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

If the account has always been imap, the mails have always been kept on the server and accessible by webmail, that is the difference between POP3 and imap. With imap, mail is stored on the server and syncs between all devices. With pop3, mail is stored locally on your device and removed from the server. If you wish to change to POP3, you will have to delete the account and recreate it, it cannot be changed on the fly.