cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rswipe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Emails gone!

My wife was expecting an email today that didn't arrive. She'd received all her emails, that's several each day, up to last night. We use a PC/Outlook Express, and two Android devices, she didn't receive the email on any of them. So we signed in to her BT mail account and found all her folders empty, the folders and settings are all in place but all empty, inbox, sent box, trash and spam. I have an email address on the same account, checked mine, all there. I've sent her some test messages from my two accounts, she received them OK and they're in her BTmail inbox now. Can anybody tell me where the rest went please?

Bernard

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
blinkinlight
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Emails gone!

I'd bring this up with BT Support - but don't expect to get your emails back.

This is what happens in 'cloud computing' where you trust another company (ie not yourself) to be resposible for you data - 'poof' and it's gone - check the terms and conditions and you will find there is no guarantee of service or data retention.

This is why many old school folk like myself prefer to use POP3 email protocols (all emails are delivered to us and then removed from the server) - it is then our own responsibility to do our own backups - as opposed tothe  IMAP protocol - where all emails are stored on BTYahoo/cpcloud servers and accessed via webmail services.

Perhaps another forum user will have an idea about what might have gone wrong - but since you say she now is getting new mails added to her (empied inbox) it sounds like its been wiped.

Sorry - good luck.

Rswipe
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Ok, put my hands up, it's our fault! This may help somebody. We use a windows PC, two laptops, smart 'phones, a Kindle and a tablet. We've always used POP3 and an email program such as Outlook Express, or the email program built into Android to manage our emails, logging into BT Mail Yahoo online to access our emails only when away and using somebody else's computer, or for an occasional check for an expected email that didn't arrive. Somehow my wife has used the Kindle to access BTMail and has set up lots of folders to move the messages into, thinking she was using the program local program within the machine, and deleting the messages she didn't want. So the messages are still in the BTMail server but can only be accessed by logging into BT, and not by using a local email program. It must be the way the Kindle is set up by Amazon as we've had no problems using the other machines.

Thanks anyway.

Bernard

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

If they are still on the server, you can still access them with an e-mail program that is configured to use IMAP and not POP3.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 5

It might not be only the Kindle because email clients generally delete POP downloaded messages from the server by default, and it's necessary to change the client setting to leave them there. When messages are deleted from BT email servers they are usually moved to the Trash folder to sit for a while until finally deleted, so you might find some of the recent ones there.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings