Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Emails marked as read?

After recieving an email into my email account it is being marked as read within a short space of time - this makes it very easy to miss a new email as it isn't easy to spot.  for example this morning on logging on I had 10 new emails, three were marked as unread and the rest as read - what is required to fix the problem?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
eeaskew
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Emails marked as read?

You need to adjust your preference settings for reading your emails.  This can be found under preferences, tools or options, depending on which email package you are using.  You can set this to mark emails as read as soon as they are highlighted in the viewing pane or after a number or seconds or not at all. 

0 Ratings
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thanks but I've tried that - no joy.

The problem is that the emails are marked as read even before I have logged on, its almost if someone else had checked my emails before I can get to them ????

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

@ihcameron wrote:

After recieving an email into my email account it is being marked as read within a short space of time - this makes it very easy to miss a new email as it isn't easy to spot.  for example this morning on logging on I had 10 new emails, three were marked as unread and the rest as read - what is required to fix the problem?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

May I ask how you are reading/viewing your emails ? Is it via webmail (i.e. via a browser) or a dedicated mail client program such as Outlook or Thunderbird ?, or do you use a mixture of both, leaving the messages on server in the mail client.

How long has this been happening, or is it all the time ?

Sorry for the questions, but a bit of extra info can help.

0 Ratings
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

I read the mail via a web browser i.e. Google Chrome on the bt server (I think).

I do leave emails on the server if I require to keep them.

It has been happening for the last 6 months - I've managed to cope with it until the other day when I missed an important email because it looked as though I had read it but I hadn't.

Hope that helps  - please excuse my non tec descriptions

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@ihcameron wrote:

I read the mail via a web browser i.e. Google Chrome on the bt server (I think).

I do leave emails on the server if I require to keep them.

It has been happening for the last 6 months - I've managed to cope with it until the other day when I missed an important email because it looked as though I had read it but I hadn't.

Hope that helps  - please excuse my non tec descriptions

Thanks for the extra info.

I'm not sure what the cause might be, there is an option in Options/More (or Mail) Options/General to turn off mark as read after clicking on an email. This forces the user to either press "k" when chosen an email to mark as read, or leave alone.

There are a few reasons I can think of why this is happening, it could be an account problem causing this glitch to happen. It's likely to be affecting only a small subset of people. It could be that someone else has indeed got your details and looking at the emails - you can simply alter the password for the account to help here.

If you happen to use a mail client program to get your emails (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird etc), then I believe fetching the emails - even with the "leave messages on server" ticked within that program - will result in the emails automatically being set as read. This would also be true for anyone else using that method to see your emails.

It might be worth altering the password, and see what happens from then on. Even if the emails are then being marked as read properly by yourself, it doesn't necessarily imply someone had access to your account.

If you're unsure where the password change link is, my shortcuts 12a will take you to the area with the password change link at the top.

0 Ratings
ihcameron
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Hi Andy

Many thanks for your help.  I have changed my email password and that seems to have done the trick

Many thanks

Ian

0 Ratings