cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Emails not being received again :-(

Help 😞

My wife and I both have btinternet email addresses and both have found we are not getting important emails from New Zealand in the last few days. These emails are just returned to the sender with no error message.

I had a similar problem last year, with BT Yahoo rejecting perfectly safe emails while it lets through all sorts of spam and phishing emails from criminals. This problem was never resolved and the various people who rang me seemed clueless and insisted there wasn’t a problem, but by experimenting I found the server objected to a perfectly safe and legitimate link in the rejected email.

That is not the problem this time. The first rejection I became aware of was from my son who is in New Zealand with a hotmail.com address. His email was rejected, but when he sent it to me via another route it arrived fine and when I sent it to my btinternet account there was no problem. So it must be objecting to his email address rather than the content. The second was from a remote camp site in New Zealand we are trying to book. Of course I have no idea what else is not arriving, but there has been silence from other attempts to book things and maybe this problem is why!

As I put in my complaint about this last year, an unreliable email service I pay for is unacceptable especially when there are free ones that work.

Any advice apart from moving to a better service would be welcome.

Graham

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 10

Re: Emails not being received again :-(

@graham999 wrote:

Help 😞

My wife and I both have btinternet email addresses and both have found we are not getting important emails from New Zealand in the last few days. These emails are just returned to the sender with no error message.

I had a similar problem last year, with BT Yahoo rejecting perfectly safe emails while it lets through all sorts of spam and phishing emails from criminals. This problem was never resolved and the various people who rang me seemed clueless and insisted there wasn’t a problem, but by experimenting I found the server objected to a perfectly safe and legitimate link in the rejected email.

That is not the problem this time. The first rejection I became aware of was from my son who is in New Zealand with a hotmail.com address. His email was rejected, but when he sent it to me via another route it arrived fine and when I sent it to my btinternet account there was no problem. So it must be objecting to his email address rather than the content. The second was from a remote camp site in New Zealand we are trying to book. Of course I have no idea what else is not arriving, but there has been silence from other attempts to book things and maybe this problem is why!

As I put in my complaint about this last year, an unreliable email service I pay for is unacceptable especially when there are free ones that work.

Any advice apart from moving to a better service would be welcome.

Graham

Your conclusion in red above may be wrong. It could be the IP address he is sending it from and other reasons.

As a test send send your son  and remote camp site emails asking for a read receipt from both your btinternet address and your other email address from a different supplier.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Hi 

I've done that but no idea why. I'll let you know what if anything happens.

Even if it is objecting to the IP Address that's no good if I want to receive emails from my son and businesses in New Zealand 😞

Graham

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

OK I've tried that now with my son and they both got through he was able to reply and I got those. I got no receipts though.

I am not able to contact the camp as thay only have intermittent access to the internet and I don't want to confuse them any more than they are already.

So what now?

Graham

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 10

@graham999 wrote:

OK I've tried that now with my son and they both got through he was able to reply and I got those. I got no receipts though.

I am not able to contact the camp as thay only have intermittent access to the internet and I don't want to confuse them any more than they are already.

So what now?

Graham

Graham thanks for the update.  

1. Lack of receipts is not a problem and can be ignored although it would have been nice if you received them.

2. I assume that you received replies from your son to both your BT yahoo address and other Email address.

This indicates that your son's IP address is probably not the problem.

3. Does your son use an email client or webmail ?

4. Without disclosing personal details can you elaborate on "another route it arrived fine" please.

The way forward is to find an email that fails when your son sends to your  BT Yahoo address that fails but works when he sends to your other address. He must use the same mechanism for each apart from the different email address.

I will send you a personal message (PM) suggesting how we can progress this quicker. 

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Sorry I have not responded as I don't know who you are.

I was hoping this was a better way to get access to the BT or Yahoo email team.

Graham

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

While I have no doubt that you would not have "come to any harm" if you had responded to vofsanity2 by PM, the whole ethos of a customer to customer self help forum is to help openly so that all the users of the forum can see what the problem is and what steps have been taken to assist.

This also helps the moderators who are BT staff to see this information as well should they need to become involved.

If I recall correctly there have been one or two similar reports and it did take moderator intervention or at least their advice on how to get the problem resolved.

I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take over 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @graham999,

I haven't seen any new reports of this over the last few days. Can you tell me if you still have the same issue?

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Not had the problem in the last few days, but then I have to admit I am using alternative ways of arranging my holiday as I no longer trust btinternet 😞

And of course how would I know if someone hadn't sent me an email unless they told me?

Graham

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

That's understandable @graham999.

I honestly believe the issue should no longer be there. Your alternative way might have a store and forward option? When you start using the email again please come back and let me know how you're getting on.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings