cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Emails not displaying in preview pane

Lately, I have noticed that my emails are not always displaying in the preview pane.

At first I thought that I needed to wait for what seems like ages for the adverts to load. However, even when the adverts ARE loaded it is hit and miss as to whether messages appear in the preview pane when clicking on them.

Of course I can double click on them to open in full page mode but this is not supposed to be necessary.

I am accessing my emails via the BT Yahoo web page, not a thiird party client such as Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express etc.

Anybody else seeing this? 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Emails not displaying in preview pane

If you're using IE, a Google for "simple adblock" will turn up something that might help. Thunderbird definitely would.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

@pottyperson wrote:

If you're using IE, a Google for "simple adblock" will turn up something that might help. Thunderbird definitely would.

Not sure it's the ads that are causing the problem. As stated in my OP, even when the ads are loaded the preview pane doesn't always show.

This morning the messages appeared in the preview pane immediately but could fail to do so at any time during the day. My settings haven't changed for ages so can only think it's a glitch with the server.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 9

@Smirnoff wrote:

Not sure it's the ads that are causing the problem.

Nor am I; it was a suggestion which you might like irrespective of your issue. An ad blocker would eliminate the adverts, both as the cause of the problem and as an annoyance (which is how most people regard them).

I don't use webmail but have had a peep. Even though I have an excellent BB connection the (empty) preview pane is taking a little while to appear just now. There may be a time-out issue with the Yahoo! server, which wouldn't be helped if adverts are loading.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 9

@pottyperson wrote:

@Smirnoff wrote:

Not sure it's the ads that are causing the problem.

Nor am I; it was a suggestion which you might like irrespective of your issue. An ad blocker would eliminate the adverts, both as the cause of the problem and as an annoyance (which is how most people regard them).

I don't use webmail but have had a peep. Even though I have an excellent BB connection the (empty) preview pane is taking a little while to appear just now. There may be a time-out issue with the Yahoo! server, which wouldn't be helped if adverts are loading.

Installed Simple Adblock but still hit and miss with the preview pane so assume it's the server.

However, a BIG improvement on my BT Home Page. The adverts there completely naused up the way I wanted it to look.

Adverts now missing and it looks much better.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

@Smirnoff wrote:

However, a BIG improvement on my BT Home Page. The adverts there completely naused up the way I wanted it to look. 

Adverts now missing and it looks much better. 

Good! I've had ad blockers on Chrome and IE for some time now. Using someones else's computer reminds me how intrusive adverts have become on some sites, and why the blocker has been Chrome's most popular extension.

Sorry it doesn't extend to sorting out Yahoo!

--
0 Ratings
Smirnoff
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 9

@pottyperson wrote:

Good! I've had ad blockers on Chrome and IE for some time now. Using someones else's computer reminds me how intrusive adverts have become on some sites, and why the blocker has been Chrome's most popular extension.

Sorry it doesn't extend to sorting out Yahoo!

Sadly a down side (there always is).

The search function in BT Yahoo Home Page no longer worked. Every attempt at a search resulted in IE8 freezing.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

Thought I'd try it myself (IE9). The BT Yahoo! search function worked, but only after I cleared a pop-up saying that I'd reached the daily limit of 200 blocks on the free version of Simple Adblock. Funny that as I hardly ever use IE and certainly haven't today! Of course, clearing the pop-up meant that adverts appeared. So it's bye-bye Simple Adblock.

Sorry to have suggested a tweak that has issues, but I didn't know about them as I keep both IE and BT Yahoo! strictly on the subs bench.

--
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

If you use the Firefox browser, there is a free addon called "adblock plus", which has no restrictions.

0 Ratings