cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dantheloung
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Engaged Line / Bad broadband

I've already got an engineer ordered for Monday but wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem. (Don't want to get lumped with the bill if it's my fault not BT's).

For a couple of months my broadband has been dropping constantly. Not complained as thought it might be my fault not theirs...

We don't use the landline regularly so not sure how long this problem has been going on but I tried to ring home the other day and it was engaged. I thought one of the kids had knocked one of the phones but when I rang my partner's mobile they were both fine.

Then I tried to ring out and every number was engaged, even my own mobile which I could verify wasn't busy.

It starts with the engaged tone even before I've finished dialing a number.

If somebody has had this fault and knows it's an internal wiring problem I'd a

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Engaged Line / Bad broadband

0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 3 of 5

You are certainly taking a risk by reporting a fault without first doing any preliminary checks to rule out the problem being on your own wiring or equipment, you need to locate your master socket, if it's a nte5 type remove the lower section, and plug a known working (preferably a corded not wireless ) phone into the test socket, if incoming and outgoing ok here, what ever the problem is it isn't Openreach's problem, and you are open to a £100+ charge for calling them out
0 Ratings
dantheloung
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I've tested that socket and it's still engaged...

I had another fault that was external a few months ago so I presume this one is too...

0 Ratings
dantheloung
Beginner
Message 5 of 5

Oh well, typically, about 3pm yesterday the phone started working again.

Broadband is still dropping out constantly so we'll just see have to see what's what.

0 Ratings